My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear this one was my wife's idea! ? So how we ended up with this machine started last summer when I sold my residential JD Z345. It was serving me well but I was worried the Intek engine and sealed hydros would not last long mowing 5 acres a week on our farm. So I sold it and picked up a Husqvarna MZT 54. This machine is built much heavier and mows great. The problem is an oil leak me and the local Husky shop can not seem to track down.

So my wife says to me. "We should probably get a backup mower, for when the Zero-turn is in the shop." She also wanted the backup mower to be able to pull an arena drag and a yard trailer. A duty previously held by my JD 210. The 210 mower deck however looks like Swiss cheese and will likely never mow again. The 210 is going to enjoy a little rest and relaxation for the time being. ?

I searched Craigslist for a while until I came across a Kubota 2160 listed for $2350 with 826 hours on the clock. I went down to take a look at it and drove away with it for $1,650. It needs a little TLC but man does it have power. I have already used it to mow, drag and haul. This thing has great power and mows well. It has a small fuel leak I am going to track down this weekend. The previous owner does not seem to have kept up with maintenance so I am going to order all the filters and fluids for it.

This is my first diesel mower so I am interested to see how well it will do. I have heard a lot of good things about this mower and am sure it will serve me well.

I do have one question for you guys. When I turn the mower off it the motor comes to an abrupt jerking halt. Is that normal for this machine? My though is that the high compression of the deisel does not allow for much spin down on this small of an engine. My Massey 240 definitely has a bit more putt putt puff before stopping. Anyways. Thanks for reading. Stay tuned for updates.

Attachments

·
Registered
965 Posts
Wow with the diesel; you stole that. Nice

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,256 Posts
Congrats on the Kubota, it should be a good hard working machine for you.

These little Kubota diesels love to run, it's SOP for them to immediately stop when instructed too. High compression coupled with immediate shutdown as required by safety switches makes it normal.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.