My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share the project I've been working on for the last few months.

Got a 400 with a blown motor, traded for an unused rototiller!

I had the D600 Kubota halfway installed in a 316K but decided the 400 was a better candidate for the swap.

I've done a few upgrades to the engine and tractor during this process. The end goal is a loader for use around our horse barn.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the swap. It's operational right now and mostly finished up, just have a few small odds and ends before I start the loader phase.
20190929_123516.jpg
20190930_212926.jpg
20191220_212351.jpg
20200328_213126.jpg
20200404_215138.jpg
IMG_20200405_221534_861.jpg

·
Registered
344 Posts
That looks like a fun project. That flange where the muffler bolts to the manifold looks like a perfect place to mount one of those spinny things that help more air into the intake. Look forward to seeing the loader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

It has been a lot of fun work on it.

Making the crank pulley to driveshaft adapter was the hardest part so far. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the 3 bolt hole circle (for Kubota crank pulley) true enough to not shake like mad when running. Eventually I sacrificed a socket to go on the center bolt, tacked it in place and welded the 3 ears to it after they were bolted in place. It seems to have worked well. The socket was drilled out to accept a small piece of 3/4" stock that centered the me u-joint. The rear u-joint was much easier as it was just plug and play to the rear end.

Engine wise it was a hydraulic power unit off a grain trailer. Has lower hours, but looks rough cause it was always outside uncovered. Had to put a new starter on it (gear reduction is nice) and I upgraded the alternator to a 40amp. I'm going to leave the injection pump alone right now, but will turn it up if it needs some more oomph.

Finding 7/8" heater hose was a chore! Oriely's had to order it for me and was pretty expensive, but it works. The radiator is from a 78 Goldwing with a 10" eBay electric fan. With the fan always on my coolant never gets above 160F. I have a temp switch for the fan installed but not wired yet, hopefully I'll get to that this week. One thing I had to do for the cooling system was that right angle thermostat housing. The original pointed straight up and didn't clear the hood when the hose was on. This one came off a D722 or a Z482 I think.

A cool thing about these Kubota's is the different versions of common parts. Like the intake or exhaust manifolds. They have the same bolts to the engine, but the outputs vary depending on the original application, so you can kind of pick and choose (assuming you can find the parts) what you want to do. There was a oil fill on the injector pump side of the engine originally, but it wouldn't clear the side panel, so I just blocked it off and used the oil fill in the valve cover.

I had to get rid of the stock hydraulic oil cooler to fit the engine, but got a universal one mounted flat under the tractor. Once I get a guard and fan installed, I'll post some pictures of that too. The rear end got all new ATF type F and a new filter too. I tightened up the control rod friction plates and still need to take a little creep out, but other that she's good to go.

I've got some steering bushings ordered from the dealer to hopefully take up the 180deg of play in my steering this week.

This is one of the few things keeping me sane right now with working from home and being quarantined...

·
4,215 Posts
Hi DrewGerhan and
...great project and nice work..do you have a loader ready to go on?...I have been working on a 318 that I have a loader for...but problems prevent finalizing it ...are you going to use the onboard hydraulics, or a dedicated pump..and if dedicated...where is it going?...One of the problems I encountered is tower on right side is going to interfere with the brake pedals

I have considered taking out the connecting plate and putting it on the other pedal ...and then cutting off part of the right pedal so it will pass the tower...I don't really have any need for that arrangement so I could just take the right pedal out altogether and have both brakes connected underneath...good luck with it and keep the pictures coming

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi DrewGerhan and View attachment 2451633 ...great project and nice work..do you have a loader ready to go on?...I have been working on a 318 that I have a loader for...but problems prevent finalizing it ...are you going to use the onboard hydraulics, or a dedicated pump..and if dedicated...where is it going?...One of the problems I encountered is tower on right side is going to interfere with the brake pedals
View attachment 2451634

I have considered taking out the connecting plate and putting it on the other pedal ...and then cutting off part of the right pedal so it will pass the tower...I don't really have any need for that arrangement so I could just take the right pedal out altogether and have both brakes connected underneath...good luck with it and keep the pictures coming
I have been thinking about making foot controls for the hydrostat and moving the brake pedal to the left side, after seeing grandpajays posts. I realize that will just move the problem to the left side, but I also don't have the loader yet, so I might be able to make it wide enough to clear the uprights. I want to get the tractor 100% operational and then begin the loader project.

I want to use the stock hydraulics, but I don't think they flow enough for what I want, so I'll probably make it a separate hydraulic system for the loader and retain the stock one for other attachments.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,404 Posts
You will want and appreciate a foot control hydro unless you have 3 hands.
I had a hand control hydro with the lever on the same side as the loader valve. Between that and 2wd and no power steering it made me hate using it. (The 2wd limitations could have been overcome with weights and better tires).
Awesome build, BTW! Keep the details and pictures coming please!

·
blinged out
1,216 Posts
if the coupler becomes an issue, I'm thinking a lovejoy coupler could be used to mate the engine to drive line. might reduce vibration and alignment might not be so critical! just food for thought.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you are going to dedicate it to loader use go for a pump to drive the loader. It will be much stronger and you will really appreciate having those on board circuits for other use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
Great Job! I love engine swaps!

For sure swap the brake pedals to the left, and add foot controls. Mine is a simple “rocker” style control and makes loader work easier. Jay’s set up is more elegant than mine, but quite a bit more work too.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I put a johnson on a 318 and got rid of the right brake pedal. I connected the two brake shafts together and never looked back. I also used the onboard hydraulics with no issue at all. Here it is but it's hard to see the one pedal set up. This is a Johnson 10 that has a reservoir in one of the uprights but I didn't use it. Of course, it is true that foot pedals are more user friendly but the 318 loader is not going to be a commercial-grade loader anyway so why treat like one? You will get the job done with it and enjoy using it even if it isn't as fast as some others. Four-wheel drive is also better but it doesn't stop most from having a loader.

Attachments

·
Registered
864 Posts
Sweet job and very clean install! There was a guy on WFM who swapped in a Mitsubishi diesel L3E in his 400.
If you do decide to install foot controls, post up how you did it. I'm planning on it too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
great write up. Impressive work. I'm curious if the D640 Kubota can be swapped into a 317 closed frame?

What do you think?

·
blinged out
1,216 Posts
I'd like to dump a big block 993cc briggs mod into a 400-420 they are getting 40-80hp out of it ..
you planning on using the blower,deck and tiller at the same time! the hyd. can't take the rpm where that motor would make that horsepower probalbly over 4000!

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
950 Posts
Cool swap! A couple of thoughts here. The big looping brake control arms can be something else once you decide the foot pan configuration can change. It always seemed that the footpad was excessively far forward, anyway. When I shortened the foot pan, I could make the controls almost straight up and down and still have the peddles in the same relative position and force function. I use the differential braking quite a bit. Also a rocker foot control would be an order of magnitude easier than what I did. Kubota does that. On a nice day go to a JD dealer and a Kubota dealer and crawl underneath some GTs and study the linkages.

I don't have a real good picture of the left side brake arms but note that I wrapped the loader uprights back to make room for my feet.

·
Parts collector
3,345 Posts
Nice work!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts