My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new SCUT primarily for snow removal and lawn cutting. I will use the FEL (and backhoe is I decide to get) for odd jobs around the yard. The reason I have narrowed down to these 2 is they are the only dealers around here in NW Ontario. Both dealers are pretty good.

Some questions:

1) Anyone have a SA221? How is it? Doesn't seem to be too many reviews on these, however everyone says Yanmar makes a really good product.
2) Is the backhoe worth the extra money? I have a few jobs in mind, but am sure I'd find more if I actually had one. Pricey tho.
3) Front snowblower and rear blade OR front hydraulic blade and rear blower?

Any other comments are welcome. Just trying to see who has these machines and how they like them for mowing and snow removal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am looking to buy a new SCUT primarily for snow removal and lawn cutting. I will use the FEL (and backhoe is I decide to get) for odd jobs around the yard. The reason I have narrowed down to these 2 is they are the only dealers around here in NW Ontario. Both dealers are pretty good.

Some questions:

1) Anyone have a SA221? How is it? Doesn't seem to be too many reviews on these, however everyone says Yanmar makes a really good product.

2) Is the backhoe worth the extra money? I have a few jobs in mind, but am sure I'd find more if I actually had one. Pricey tho.

3) Front snowblower and rear blade OR front hydraulic blade and rear blower?

Any other comments are welcome. Just trying to see who has these machines and how they like them for mowing and snow removal.

Thanks!
If those are your choices, Get a Kubota. Yanmar makes a nice machine and a great motor but they lack the market share/critical mass of Kubota. They used to produce the now discontinued Cub Cadet/Yanmar sub compact tractors (in the US) and have been the go-to motor for John Deere subcompacts for some time.

Additionally, More aftermarket accessories are readily available for Kubota and John Deere (bxpanded, artillian, bro-tek, etc) than any other brand. Once you get to the Massey Ferguson's, Kioti's, Mahindra's and Yanmar's the world the aftermarket is a fare bit thinner for options.

I was on the fence myself about the backhoe on my GC1710... Now that I have over 300 hours on my machine I would tell you it's the most used implement I have, especially now with the aftermarket mechanical thumb on it; more than my tiller and mid mount mower (which I've had as long as the machine). If you can absorb it financially, it's worth it's weight in gold when you need it.

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
For brand I think it's a toss up these days. Compare warranties, prices, financing options, feel out the dealers to see who you feel the best about, and buy the one that fits the bill. You can get lemons no matter the brand. So go with the dealer that seems to care the most. I love my Kubota but I would have bought from whoever had the best deal for what I needed at the moment.
As for backhoe, I don't have one and never really considered it. I could certainly have found a use for it (like a couple of water lines I would like to run) but the additional cost just didn't make sense to me. I will find a way to do these projects without the attachment. If you can swing the additional cost then go for it but for snow removal and mowing as primary uses I wouldn't do it.
Snow removal I can't be of help. Last year I couldn't wait to move some snow with my bx and we didn't get crap. I'm sure you're on a whole different level of snow than I am.
Good luck man and you won't regret it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
Unless there is a large price difference I agree with WNYguy. Kubota is like a JD if you ever want to sell it. Quality is probably the same between the two.

too bad you don't have a Massey Ferguson dealer because I think that 1710 is superior to both of them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Unless there is a large price difference I agree with WNYguy. Kubota is like a JD if you ever want to sell it. Quality is probably the same between the two.

too bad you don't have a Massey Ferguson dealer because I think that 1710 is superior to both of them.
Lol I agree here. I looked at Yanmar 221, John Deere 1023 and 1025, Kubota BX25D, Mahindra Max and eMax 22's and 25's, Kioti's, New Holland(LS) Boomer 20 and Massey Ferguson's GC1710 and GC1720. Yanmar, kubota and Massey are all Japanese high quality machines. John Deere is American/Japanese as well. Mahindra you saw they weren't when you really looked at the castings. Very heavy but clearly behind the others in terms of refinement. New Holland and Kioti were decent enough looking.

At the end of the day once you look at features vs price point vs build quality it was going to be Massey or Kubota for me. I got more and liked the ergonomics of the Massey's better, better PTO horsepower and I like red more than I like orange. My dad has an older 2001 BX1500 that has been a good machine for him. My only "regret" is not getting the 1720 with 60" deck. That said...you couldn't pry my GC1710 and 54" mower out of my dead hands lol. I LOVE that thing!

·
DGS 6500 - North Dakota
161 Posts
Just as a side note, look up engine power on Tractordata.com. I've only compared the Kubota to the JD. But the Kubota 2380 has as much torque as the JD 1025 has. 3 less HP, but same torque. Torque on the Kubota 2680 was higher yet.

If you're only mowing and loader, probably not a big deal. If you start running a lot of 3 point items that need torque, Kubota 2680 is King.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am jelous of the selection you have!

I am probably going to go with the Yanmar as they it looks like they have the best price for the tractor and impliments I want.

I think the Kubota has some better user features, but the price is high and the best deal is on the BX23S, and I don't think I can justify the price for the backhoe.

I suspect I will be happy with the Yanmar, however some of the new features on the BX's are pretty sweet.

Lol I agree here. I looked at Yanmar 221, John Deere 1023 and 1025, Kubota BX25D, Mahindra Max and eMax 22's and 25's, Kioti's, New Holland(LS) Boomer 20 and Massey Ferguson's GC1710 and GC1720. Yanmar, kubota and Massey are all Japanese high quality machines. John Deere is American/Japanese as well. Mahindra you saw they weren't when you really looked at the castings. Very heavy but clearly behind the others in terms of refinement. New Holland and Kioti were decent enough looking.

At the end of the day once you look at features vs price point vs build quality it was going to be Massey or Kubota for me. I got more and liked the ergonomics of the Massey's better, better PTO horsepower and I like red more than I like orange. My dad has an older 2001 BX1500 that has been a good machine for him. My only "regret" is not getting the 1720 with 60" deck. That said...you couldn't pry my GC1710 and 54" mower out of my dead hands lol. I LOVE that thing!

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
I would look at the point of manufacture on the Yanmar before making a final decision. Yes they are a Japanese company. The earlier tractors were all made there. Then they started manufacturing in different countries and quality went to poop. I don't know if this is still the case but would sure look into it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am jelous of the selection you have!

I am probably going to go with the Yanmar as they it looks like they have the best price for the tractor and impliments I want.

I think the Kubota has some better user features, but the price is high and the best deal is on the BX23S, and I don't think I can justify the price for the backhoe.

I suspect I will be happy with the Yanmar, however some of the new features on the BX's are pretty sweet.
That's surprising to me. The Yanmar 223 was $3k more than a BX25D when I was shopping years ago. Maybe they made up the difference in implement mark up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after more investigation, here is what I have found:

- Yanmar appears to be a bit more heavy duty, Kubota more features
- Yanmar is a bit cheaper, but not by much when you include implements
- Kubota has aluminum housing tranny, Yanmar has cast steel. Been told that the cast is more robust, but I also don't know anyone who has had one fail in the BX's
- Implements and accessories are better for Kubota
- The BX has a hydraulic plow that mounts directly to the loader arms, seems like a nice easy setup. With Yanmar have to mount to frame to get hydraulic plow
- Both seem to be equivalent for mowing

My local Yanmar dealer is good, but I do fear a bit that they may not be here for the long term? Not many dealers around it seems.

This is a good problem to have. Wish I could find more SA221 owners out there to chime in.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A cast tranny housing means more weight which is better for doing tractor work IMO. (Traction and stability when handling loads with the loader) I've heard of Kubota tranny's failing but more to do with their other products and not BX's so much.

Bottom line is your always going to have access to more option with a Kubota...it's the benefit of being a market share leader like they are means others want to create stuff for their tractors and there's enough of them for market demand of said products. If you wanna even up the score some, see if there is a SSQA system for the Yanmar Loader. Then you'll have universal access to all sorts of front Attachments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, I have the yanmar sa 424. I have owned it for 2yrs now, i only use it for brush hogging 2acres, five foot brush hog, twice a year. snow removal. 250 foot driveway rear 3 point, 6foot blade. I use the FEL to move dirt, spread gravel and just a really convenient ,,wheelbarrow,, I use it but dont abuse it

I looked at JD, Kubota and Yanmar. All three were on sale, the JD was about 1200 more, the Kubota about 1800, more! All three have good points and bad points! The yanmar dealer was by far the best! i have all three dealers within 25 miles of home, so that wasnt a huge factor for me.

The Jd uses a yanmar engine, so the same there, the Kubota is there own manufacture? I forget about the Kubota,, sorry,, but if i wanted a backhoe on the Jd i had to purchase it already installed, they use a different frame ?

I can add a backhoe any time on the yanmar, and they are really expanding there own implement line, they are branded as being built in Georgia, maybe assembled there? It was the best bang for the buck for me and i have had no problems with mine, i really like it, Good luck, they all seem to be well built quality machines! sorry no experience with the MMM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts