My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing a B5100E that is for sale here locally, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this model. Good points/bad points???? Any info will be great. Thanks.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
I don't have any experience with one but theres some general things to look for.
1) hrs, how many hrs does it have. I'd be leary of one with over 1500 hrs unless it's in excellent shape.
2) check the engine oil for any milky substance. The presence of this would indicate either a blown headgasket, a cracked head or block.
3) is the coolant green? If not I'd suspect a coolant leak as most folks will only put in water on a leaky cooing system.
4) condition of the tires. They can run some big $$$'s to replace.
5) does everything work. The 3ph should raise and drop smoothly. The steering shouldn't have too much free play. A well kept machine's gauges should work. Go through all the gears and make sure they stay in gear when operating.
6) what implements come with it. A MMM and FEL add value to the tractor as they can be high $$$ to purchase after the fact.
If it has a MMM test it w/the engine at full throttle as this is where you'll mow with it. Listen for any unusual sounds such as a bearing going out.
The FEL should work smoothly and the hoses should look good. Hoses can be made at most any hydraulic shop so bad hoses alone shouldn't be a deal killer. But replacing them will add cost to your purchase.
Good luck

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed that this tractor has a 12 hp engine with 10 hp at the PTO. The current owner uses this tractor to mow with a 4 ft. finish mower. I was wondering if this tractor had enough power to turn a tiller. thanks.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Yes, 10 pto hp will work up to a 42" tiller fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have checked the Kubota website and this tractor is NOT on the list of Gray Market tractors. That being said, shouldn't I be able to purchase parts for this tractor at my local Kubota dealer?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, sorry for so many questions, but I'm going to look at the tractor today, and I keep having things pop in my mind that I want to know............

If this tractor does NOT have hydraulic outlets, can they be added? I guess I'm asking if the hydraulic system is ported in any way that would allow you to tap into it, for adding a loader in the future.

Thanks again.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
The B5100E did have an FEL option but I doubt that they came "pre-plumbed". More than likelyYou'll have to add the hydraulic block, valve and plumbing if it isn't already setup for an FEL but yes the tractor can accept an FEL.
It would be nearly impossible to find a good servicable OEM FEL now but you could check w/some aftermarket suppliers sch as Woods and Koyker to see if they offer kits.
You could also look for an old basketcase or check the salvage yard for a junked B5100 that has an FEL for parts.
The B5100 was not a gray so most dealers should be able to still get parts for them.
Good luck

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I paid a deposit yesterday and will pick up my "new" B5100 tomorrow. This is really a sweet little tractor. i drove it around the previous owner's place, and it drives and shifts really well. I was amazed at how smoothly the gears, PTO, H/L range, shifted. Everything was buttery smooth. I've been on tractors where it seems like it takes all you've got to push/pull/yank etc to get things shifted where you want them. It's a very quiet smooth running tractor too. I'm really ready to get it home. I should be able to do just about everything I need to do on my little 5 acre place with this thing.

Proud to be a Kubota owner!!:bannana:

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Congratulations on the new tractor. Kubota makes some nice tractors.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
:thThumbsU :congrats:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts