My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got my internet and power back here after 6 days. The pre Halloween storm really gave us a beat down around here. The Kubota proved invaluable for clean up. I first had to cut up some tree limbs in my driveway; then plow the storm; then remove a big oak and clean up other tree limbs and debris. Took this pic of it by some downed lines on my street. The tree in the pic is resting on the phone and cable wires--after smashing through the electric wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sorry to hear about the power loss, hope everyone is fine. 6 days is a long time without power.

Tractor however looks right at home!

·
Banned
271 Posts
That stinks... I can say the tornado here was bad enough, but snow on top of the carnage would have really sucked.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
That B3030 looks like the perfect machine for the tough job at hand.

That must have been one heck of a storm, hope you & yours made out OK.

Dave

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That B3030 looks like the perfect machine for the tough job at hand.

That must have been one heck of a storm, hope you & yours made out OK.

Dave
At one point, over 700,000 people in the state had no power. Tree and pole damage was so bad that after 6 days, over 250,000 still have no power. Here's a pic of the inspector general on a walk with me stepping over some down lines. I know, "Don't try this at home, kids!"

Attachments

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
At one point, over 700,000 people in the state had no power. Tree and pole damage was so bad that after 6 days, over 250,000 still have no power. Here's a pic of the inspector general on a walk with me stepping over some down lines. I know, "Don't try this at home, kids!"
Glad you finally got power back. Ours came back Wed. at 4 pm. Sure sounds like CL&P learned nothing from Irene. :(

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
"Don't try this at home, kids!"
No kidding! :eek: 6 days, well at least the Kubota was running for you guys. Glad to hear the power is back on .

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Thanks for the pic, and glad things are getting back to normal and also glad you had a machine up to the task!:fing32:

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,057 Posts
Bummer being w/o power for so long. At least your tractor made you feel a litle better about it all. You must have been delighted to finally see the lights come on.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Finally got my internet and power back here after 6 days. The pre Halloween storm really gave us a beat down around here. The Kubota proved invaluable for clean up. I first had to cut up some tree limbs in my driveway; then plow the storm; then remove a big oak and clean up other tree limbs and debris. Took this pic of it by some downed lines on my street. The tree in the pic is resting on the phone and cable wires--after smashing through the electric wires.
I lost power for 6 days too. Generator started puking oil on Friday morning. Power came back on Friday afternoon...perfect timing.

15 years ago, after an early Dec. storm, the same thing happened - all the trees broke and we lost power for 4 days. The power company had cutters running around for the next couple of months, and they cleared all of the lines. We didn't even have a glitch for the next 10 years. Then they stopped maintaining the lines, then the '08 ice storm wiped us out, then this. I really thought they would've launched a major cutting campaign after the ice storm...they really HAVE gotten worse.

JayC

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
we're working on it guys, we have been doing power restoration since sat we worked sat,sun and mon on dominion power then packed up monday night and headed to westchester county ny tues 6 am then spent tues,wens,thurs in westchester county, then packed up and headed to mahwah nj for thurs,fri,sat and now we are are working in whippany nj down the road from sun to to whenever we are released. i am hoping they send us to Connecticut to help up there. Please don't take this in offense, but you are right about don't try that at home, even though there are broke poles or wires on the ground they doesn't mean they aren't live,hot or whatever you want to call them then can still have voltage. you can have a pole with the wire down both sides and a transformer on the pole. if someone did not switch their main breaker off with generator running it can run voltage back through the transformer and produce primary voltage or as we call (back-feed). primary voltages can ranges from 2400v all the way up 34,500v in distribution systems so please be careful with running your generators and staying away from downed lines

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Being without power really sucks. So far with the whole house generator I put in it's been one twice. Nice to have when things go south. slkpk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Storm clean up still continues around here. Town crew have been removing branches by the roads and cutting up big trees. My neighbor gave me this big red oak; used the B3030 to haul it back to my house.

Attachments

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Looks like you are making progress, that sure looks like a lot of work. Good to get some firewood , but a tough way to have it come around.:sorry1:

Nice cleanup tools , especially the big red one.:fing32:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts