My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed yesterday while i was cutting grass with my "new" jim dandy that after about 45 minutes the engine would start losing power.the engine loses rpm and slows after a minute or three the rpm goes up for a few minutes,then the cycle starts again.if i shut it off for 30-45 minutes it will run fine for 45 minutes or so.
i have put a new air filter on it yesterday.i did a pb blaster lawn mower cleaner treatment on it today.it has new gas in it.the spark plug has some gray-brown powdery build up on it but looks good physically.
now for a few observations.if i turn off the mower pto the rpm recovery is faster.probably since there is no load on it then.
since the pb blaster treatment i have to run at hi throttle with the choke engaged almost fully.did the pb treatment clean up the carb and cylinder enough that i may need to physically adjust the cable operation?
the mower deck is a bit loud .but i have no first hand knowledge as to how loud it should be.i'm wondering if the deck and spindles need lube and are getting hot and causing drag after 45 minutes.where are the zerk fittings for the deck and spindles?
could the coil be overheating?everything on the engine looks original or old.
sorry for the long post,just not familiar with kohler stuff.

·
Still plays with tractors
2,285 Posts
The pb treatment may have cleaned everything to the point of having to adjust the carb, not the cable operation.

The grease zerks on the PK mower deck are on the underside. It's best to take the deck off and flip it up to get to them.

I've dealt with two tractors that have had the very symptoms you are talking about. I have yet to figure out why they do what they do. Both hadn't been run in quite a while so I figured they have some varnish all through the fuel system that just needed to come out. I ran some Gummout through as I used the machine. It seemed to get better but never completely fixed the problem. Of course, these were not user tractors so they don't get run as often. Could be a coil breakdown also. Usually they just go but sometimes they do give warning. If you change the coil, change the condenser too.

·
Electrician
937 Posts
Well, mine does that too. I believe it has something to do with heat. I've noticed it is worse when hot outside or when I mow taller grass and the governed speed kicks up and down often. I can run it forever just at governed speed. Something else I noticed was the fan screen on the kohler is very fine with all those small holes and it almost looks like it would get more air if this screen had better air flow.:praying:

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 68 301 did exactly the same thing, had to use choke almost completley closed. I took the float bowl off the carb and cleaned it out, don't know how that crud gets thru the filter but it does, also took the high speed needle out and blew about 25 PSI or so thru it and put it back together and it now runs fine for hours. Have to do this about twice a year. I need to clean and coat the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts