My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cub Cadet Owner for LIFE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new kohler trigger module on the JD 140 and I put it in and it started smoking. I double checked everything and all the wires were right. I took it back out and tested it and it failed the light test. I didnt test it before I put it in maybe I should have. I was wondering if there is a loose/bad connection on the coil if it would fry them? Like would it fry if the coil is unhooked and you try to start it? Or would a bad coil do it? $100+ bucks a pop is to expensive to keep throwing at this!:banghead3

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi,
Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing:
You have a Kohler K321 with the solid state ignition which has the trigger module that is mounted on outside of the flywheel and is "made". by a lump on the flywheel. It has two terminals, one wire goes to the stator and the other wire goes to the bottom of the special solid state(non cylindrical) coil. This same connection point goes to the ignition switch terminal that is grounded when off.

Have you replaced an ignition switch recently?

This trigger module should not have any 12v going to it from the ignition switch.

I have a K321 solid state ignition in Power King tractors that I have.

Good luck. chuckbob

·
Cub Cadet Owner for LIFE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea its the same one. First off the tractor is my moms. I dont know alot about its history. I did see the wires all look redone on the switch so I asked my brother about it and he said my other brother just replace the key switch when he couldnt figure out why it quit thinking it was it I guess. (it quit from the trigger module)

Oh and the wires are "I" went to coil, "a" went under the flywheel to Alternator.

·
Cub Cadet Owner for LIFE
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thinking it would better to just switch it to points. Expensive at first but then at least I dont have to worry about it going out again. Should be cheaper in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts