My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Husqvarna YTH1842 with a Kohler 18 hp motor. have had the ride on for 5 years without a proble, but last week i mowed the lawn trouble free and shut it off and when i went to start it this week it just turns over and backfires. I have checked and have good spark through my research i am thinking maybe the needle or float valve are stuck and i am going to blow the carb out with air. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JPM

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Try a new spark plug, if that doesnt help, Id go with flywheel key sheared.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions i got a new plug and still nothing so i pulled off cover over flywheel but i cant get the flywheel off. do i need a special puller? it does look like the key way is rounded at the top.

thanks again

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
You should be able to see if the key ways are inline after removing the fw nut and washer, without having to removing the flywheel. Just a strong puller and a hammer is all you really need.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,166 Posts
You should be able to see if the key ways are inline after removing the fw nut and washer, without having to removing the flywheel. Just a strong puller and a hammer is all you really need.

I just had a 17 hp Kohler doing that and checked the flywheel key by removing nut and using pen light to check alignment of flywheel and crankshaft keyways. Key was sheared, new key and all was well. I used an automotive crankshaft balancer puller but you can even make your own with a little ingenuity.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Walt sez: "but you can even make your own with a little ingenuity. "

Okey dokey. Where do you get a can of ingenuity? Somewhere near the waterline locker? Right next to the slabs of unobtainium? I've been looking near and far....

Heh. Just put a problem in front of these fellows, and you'll get eleven-teen solutions before you can put your boots on...
tom

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Okey dokey. Where do you get a can of ingenuity? Somewhere near the waterline locker? Right next to the slabs of unobtainium? I've been looking near and far....

Heh. Just put a problem in front of these fellows, and you'll get eleven-teen solutions before you can put your boots on...
tom
He asks....we tell. Looks like there's 2 simple solutions noted, based on the questions asked by the OP.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
IHcub

Maybe you've never heard of waterline and unobtainium.

.... it was a joke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts