My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy with a 15 yr old Craftsman Rider, Kohler 13 hp single cyl. I'm trying to get him to give me model number etc. But anyway, here's the symptom: cold engine.......start engine up as normal.....start mowing grass, few minutes later (after engine is warmed up), the engine just shuts down, no apparent reason. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Probably should pull the cover off and see if the cooling fins are blocked with something.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have a buddy with a 15 yr old Craftsman Rider, Kohler 13 hp single cyl. I'm trying to get him to give me model number etc. But anyway, here's the symptom: cold engine.......start engine up as normal.....start mowing grass, few minutes later (after engine is warmed up), the engine just shuts down, no apparent reason. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
When it shuts down,....does it spit and sputter, and then die or does it shut down like someone turned a switch (instantly)?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
Does it have a low oil sensor? could be if it is low, once it heats up and the oil is running around in the motor that it drops the level in the pan, and trips the sensor. Could also be a low oil pressure sensor.

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
Either the vent hole in the fuel cap is plugged OR the coil is going bad. Check the cap, if it is clean, put a spark checker on the engine and run till it starts to die, watch the spark checker to diagnose loss of spark.

My bet would be the coil.

Dan

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Dan is on the right track-

When it dies, check for spark. No spark = bad coil.
IF you have spark, try priming the carb with a couple teaspoons worth of gas. IF it fires and then quits, it's a fuel delivery problem.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alot for the replies to all. Still waiting on feedback from my friend.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My guess is the coil too. When they start going bad they work fine cold, then once it heats up, engine shuts down. I just had a chainsaw doing the same thing. New coil, problem solved.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it seems that a new coil did the trick, the engine runs like a top now. Thanks for all the input, guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts