My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kohler K341 that came from a generator. I have no idea what size rectifier it needs. Possibly 15 amp, but not sure. The engine has no markings. Can I just check it with a multimeter to find the amperage output? The stator leads aren't hooked up, so how do I attach the meter?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Then there is no way to know unless you have the old voltage regulator/rectifier. Hooking one up is easy. The three spade lugs are hooked up with the two AC leads from under the flywheel doing to the outside two terminals. They can go on either one because they are AC electricity and will hurt nothing if you reverse them. The middle terminal is the DC output terminal and goes to the ignition switch accessory terminal. Buy a 15 amp regular (the most common size) and if the stator is only 10 amp it will still work fine. Make sure the regulator is grounded to the engine. Roger

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Might help if we knew what the engine came out of. What brand of generator did it come out of?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
In looking at several Kohler charging systems, it appears the only one requiring a heavy duty regulator is the 30 amp stator. It has four wires coming from it. Two red and two black. the stator itself is thick and has heavy windings on it.

Since yours engine comes from a generator, it would seem reasonable to assume that it does not require a heavy duty stator. There are no axillary circuits to run from the engine so no need for a lot of charging amperage.

·
Premium Member
9,660 Posts
From the Messicks web site
K321S 10A Regulator K0H4140308 $177.93
K321AS 15A Rectifer K0H4140306 $107.98
K321AQS Regulator K0H2575503 $100.91

Sorry, mine is a K321AQS, Sure you can find yours with a model # search, Will be kinda expensive with a trial and error purchase.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Ive got one I just took off a Wheel Horse tractor with a Kohler 10hp engine, I dont know what the rated output was though. Its a little metal box with 3 terminals out the bottom marked S B and H. Id guess its a 15amp, its the older style regulator/rectifier.

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
If you wind up needing the 4140306 regulator, pm me. I have a NOS unit I will make you a deal on.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buy a 15 amp regular (the most common size) and if the stator is only 10 amp it will still work fine. Roger
Really? If the stator puts out 10 amps, the rectifier will still charge the battery properly?

Might help if we knew what the engine came out of. What brand of generator did it come out of?
No idea! I was given only an engine. It was painted antique gold if that helps.

Thanks for the offers. I have several 15 amp rectifiers and a 10, but if they don't work, I'll get back to youse guys.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Yes but it will not produce 15 amps. In most instances a charging system will never produce more amps than it needs to run the load (think lights) on the tractor and keep the battery charged. On you generator it will probably only need 1 or 2 amps to keep the battery charged so you shouldn't have any problems. I have used two of the Kohler 15 amp regulators on two tractors I have with Tecumseh OH 160 engines in them. They have been in use for 2 years with zero problems. Roger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts