My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a chance to spend some time with the 222 since the weather is better. Din the usual tune up stuff like spark plug, oil, fuel filter, clean the fuel bowl. Purchased a new battery and ignition switch.
Cant seem to get fuel to the motor. I siphoned some the "hard" way up to the carb but the engine doesnt get any to the plug. I checked the compression and couldnt get a reading any higher than 50 lbs.
Any ideas?
Guy

·
Citizen of Earth
15,243 Posts
Exactly how did you check the compression? And Have you checked the gas tank and fuel lines for blockages?

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
The fuel line hose from tank tend to swell when old that might be your problem. Or maybe the gas cap on the tank is plugged, causing a vacuum. Another thing is Kohler motors are very fussy what type of fuel filter you run. I found out the hard way, was driving me nuts. :banghead3

I had a problem with my CV14 Command Pro, would run fine to about 3/4 throttle anymore or if it was under a load. It ran like it was running out of gas. Also the filter I used wouldn`t fill up. I cleaned the carb 3 times, checked the hose from the tank to the carb. cleaned the tank and checked the fuel shut off valve, every thing was fine. It turned out, I was using the wrong fuel filter :banghead3 I needed to run a Kohler fuel filter for a gravity feed system, a simple fix. :duh:

I had, had a problem with water and dirt in the fuel filter and I replaced the old filter with a clear plastic filter to keep and eye on the fuel. That`s when it started to fall all over itself. Not sure what Kohler your running but if you don`t have the a owners manual. You can download a free copy from Kohler it should give you the right fuel filter part number you should be using. :fing32:

Try clicking on service literature and look through the list for you engine get owners as well as service manual for free. Kohler has a great trouble shooter guide. :goodl:
http://www.kohlerplus.com/main_frame.asp

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys,
I have a pretty decent compression gauge that i used. I just took the plug out and cranked until the reading was at its highest, I then added some marvel mystery oil and took a reread. The reading was the same.
After putting the plug back in the tractor sputtered some. I plugged in my charger and kept throttling it. She finally caught and ran great after she spit out some smoke from the mytery oil.
When starting the tractor again it kinda starts slow. kind of like put, put put. and then slowly comes into it.
How does the fuel pump work anyways? Can i get one pretty easily? I pulled some gas though the lines with my own suction , seemed to not have any restriction.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Kohlers have a low rpm compression release that aides in easy starting. Theres a special lobe on the exhaust valve cam that keeps the valve slightly open at low (starting) rpms and centrifugal weights close the lobe once the engine starts and allows the exhaust valve to funtion properly. You can't use a std compression guage to read compression on these engines because of this. Kohler has a special guage that uses a fluid gauge and it measures the rise (or drop) in a fluid to determine if theres a compression leak in the engine. The test is called a bleeddown test.

All the suggestions are good and likely culprits. Is the fuel old? Was it treated with Stabil or something similar? Was the fuel filter you replaced the old one with the same?

It sounds like a fuel or fuel delivery problem. If new fuel doesn't help then sometimes after doing a full scale changeout it can help in isolating a problem by replacing the old working parts step by step. If a part is obviously bad then of course this isn't recommended. Try the old plug and see what happens. Then try the old fuel filter.

Double check everything you've done to make sure everything is properly installed.

The fuel pump is easy to swap out. Depending on your engine model, it can either be mounted on the valvecover or somewhere near the carb. The easy way to test if the fuel pump is working is to crack open the high pressure fuel line at the carb (the line from the fuel pump) then crank the engine over. You should see a strong steady stream of fuel, if you don't see any or it spudders then the pump is bad. Course it's got to have fuel getting to it from the fuel tank and if the tank or line is clogged or the filter is incorrect then you won't get any pressure out of the fuel pump either. Kinda a catch 22.
Good luck
Volfandt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts