My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this up today.

Was told that it runs well but will not charge a battery and will run until the battery goes dead and stall.

I have not had a chance to look at it. But I am not familiar with the charging system on this. Somewhat clueless where to start.

What is the first thing I should do to figure this out?? Could it all be in the ignition?? Because he has the ignition by- passed. (It is what I was hoping )

Wiring is not a strong point with me.

It's a 14 hp Kohler,,horizontal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,259 Posts
I'll try, I looked at your pictures for a "regulator" I didn't see any I could identify as such. I am only familuar with my K321 which the regulator id mounted on the engine.

With that said. I recomend finding the regulator, then performing the following tests.

Find the Stator wires(s)
Follow the Stator wire(s), should lead to the Regulator.

Once located, then test for proper voltages or blown fuses.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well,,normally I would at least try to fix something before even thinking about posting a question.
But on this,,I'm not sure where to start. And trying to get a head start. lol

I will go through it soon and look at all fuses and for bad wires. Or wires not hooked up. Looks like I can see 1 in the picture I posted.

What is confusing me,,,is why it won't run without a charging system. I didn't think they were linked to spark.

(My crude thoughts)Magnets on flywheel,,charge stator,,then goes through regulator,,to,,, ??? where??? I believe it has to go through the ignition ,,which will send power to light switch,volt meter and to battery for charging,,and possibly to coil.(but coil should have its own pick-up)

How close am I???

And the ignition on this is not hooked up.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,590 Posts
post a picture of the other side of the engine.. There should be 2 wires coming out from under the flywheel shroud there. They are from the stator and are hooked to the regulator or diode resistor which converts the ~28V AC power to ~14V DC.. So that is where the battery charging power comes from.. Hope this helps..:trink40:

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
post a picture of the other side of the engine.. There should be 2 wires coming out from under the flywheel shroud there. They are from the stator and are hooked to the regulator or diode resistor which converts the ~28V AC power to ~14V DC.. So that is where the battery charging power comes from.. Hope this helps..:trink40:
OK,,I will do.

When I find these wires how can I tell if it is putting out,,,I do not have a volt meter of any kind. I do have a test light. Would it light this up if working proper??

If I can figure out that the stator is putting out,,,its a matter of getting all the wires right. Which is headway,,,but still not easy. This tractor has a ton of dash wires.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK,, I found the problem. LOL

It's not hooked up. This is not the original engine.

Tractor has a 5 wire plug,,,,and the engine has a 2 wire plug. This going to be very difficult to figure out.

I believe this is why the ignition is partially by-passed. It's a mess!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I was just going to post that you have a K series installed instead of the original M (magnum) Looks like that's a310 model which had a 10HP originally, that 14 will do just fine in there. Sorry can't hep you with the wiring though.

·
Premium Member
10,259 Posts
What is confusing me,,,is why it won't run without a charging system. I didn't think they were linked to spark.

(My crude thoughts)Magnets on flywheel,,charge stator,,then goes through regulator,,to,,, ??? where??? I believe it has to go through the ignition ,,which will send power to light switch,volt meter and to battery for charging,,and possibly to coil.(but coil should have its own pick-up)

How close am I???

And the ignition on this is not hooked up.
That engine has the Coil and points which need 12V to run. Normally this is obtained from the battery through the key switch.

Here is the diagram for my tractor that has a K321. Hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That engine has the Coil and points which need 12V to run. Normally this is obtained from the battery through the key switch.

Here is the diagram for my tractor that has a K321. Hope it helps.
This would help if I could get it bigger,,so I can read it. Is it available on-line somewhere??

·
Premium Member
10,259 Posts
right click the picture and select save as. save it to your computer (file name will be "untitled" then use your graphics program to open and zoom on it. The Ford repair manual is over 100meg.

·
Premium Member
10,259 Posts
Why do you think that???
The Key switch for the magneto ignitions have a switched "Ground" to kill the engine.

The Key switch for the Coil and points Cuts "Positive" to the coil to kill the engine.

·
Super Moderator
17,136 Posts
Because the Kohler K model is a battery ign., meaning it has points/condenser vs. the Mag model, which I believe has a breakerless system--you have some re-wireing to do--but not a bad job. Tqwo0 diufferent systems--two different switches --to begin with.

good luck--and keep posting!!

glenn

·
Registered
92 Posts
Make sure the key switch matches the type of ignition you have the make them for both for a kohler .look on the back of the switch ( I) is for a battery ignition , ( M) is for a magneto. Its not real hard to do ive done lots of them. The wheel horse are eazy to do.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Key switch for the magneto ignitions have a switched "Ground" to kill the engine.

The Key switch for the Coil and points Cuts "Positive" to the coil to kill the engine.
Hmmm?? I was about to say something like the PO wired it different for that ground.

Took a break come back and looked and see they are 2 different systems,,from help from next poster.

I'm not great at this wiring thing ,,, but I think i got what you mean.

I know some things here,,but it is getting extremely confusing.

I have more time than money,,,,so maybe we can figure this out.

·
Premium Member
10,259 Posts
Here is about the most simple diagram on the K321 I can find. I have the service manual 14.5M that I can try to send via email if interested. PM me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the help on this,,but I have no more worries about it.

I sold it!!! As is,,needing to be fixed. I made money on it,,did nothing,,,,and left plenty of room for the guy who bought it. All is good.

Normally do not work this way,,but I have a ton of tractors to work on. 3 in the garage and 4 lined up outside. More coming.

I'll try not to let this happen again. All this for nothing,,but it was not my intention.

·
Premium Member
10,259 Posts
Darn, and it was starting to get good :howdy: Well, maybe the person you sold it to will become a Member to get help on "Kohler not charging. On a wheel horse".

Good luck with your other projects.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Darn, and it was starting to get good :howdy: Well, maybe the person you sold it to will become a Member to get help on "Kohler not charging. On a wheel horse".

Good luck with your other projects.
LOL. Yep,,,maybe he will take over where we left off. If he puts it into a search with any of that wording,,he should find this post. So we will see.

A small regret about this,is out of all the tractors I have ,,that wheel horse would probably be worth the most fixed. I knew this and thought about it before I sold it.
But it is also worth the most,,,not fixed,,,lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts