My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine idles at what seems to be appropriate speed. As I increase throttle nothing happens until about midway to the fast setting (where it is supposed to be for mowing) then engine speed increases instantly to too fast. At wide open throttle (where it is supposed to be for mowing) engine speed is so fast there is excessive vibration and I back off to about mid-point between idle and fast. If I tweak the throttle up and down in the midway section of the speed adjustment I can get the engine to settle in on about the speed it should be at wide open throttle.

The things I have done that may have caused this include the following:
* Added some Seafoam to fuel to treat the carburator - was not having a problem just more of a maintenance thing I did.

I don't think this is my problem.

* Disassembly of the engine shroud and the sheet metal plate that sits horizontally and hides the lower half of the engine. Plate was a tight fit to get out and back in...got stuck in the carburator linkage on bottom of carb and put some light stress on those components.

Nothing looks damaged, but I fear that I may have stressed the governor spring as reading in the engine manual this spring controls throtle surges.

How can I tell if this is my problem? Any other suggestions.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Short of doing a search for a pictoral, or line drawing reference, I don't know. I'd think that the chances of finding those parts in stock at repair shop (for comparison) would be slim pickin's. You could take it back down & look for 'witness marks' where the linkage or the spring was bent.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found the MV18 engine manual online and read about governor spring. It was not located in the "factory setting" position. I moved the spring to the "factory" hole location and whalah...no more problem. Suhweet!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts