My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I've got a 300 garden tractor that recently had a new short block installed for the K341AQS (Kohler single cylinder 16 HP). The mechanic said to run it for 2-3 hrs, then change the oil. At about 2 hours I did the first oil change, and put in standard 30W. I'll probably change it again after 5 hrs as I've been reading that is recommended on these forums.

My question is... When would the break-in period be over (how many hours), and after that is there any benefit to using synthetic oil? And if so, what weight/brand of oil would you use?

thanks!!

--
Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ended up stumbling across the answers on the Kohler website. They recommend using SAE 30, and standard oil for the first 50 hours for a new or rebuilt engine. After that, they say that you can switch to synthetic.

* What kind of oil should I use in my engine? Can I use synthetic oil?

10W-30 (Command Oil) is recommended for Command, Courage, Command PRO, Command PRO CS, Triad OHC, and Aegis engines for temperatures above freezing (32°F, 0°C). SAE-30 is an acceptable substitute if temperatures are above 50°F, 10°C. K-Series and Magnum engines should use SAE 30 (Magnum Oil) above freezing. 5W-20 or 5W-30 can be used in all engines when temperatures are below freezing. For more complete oil specifications refer to your owner's manual. For optimum performance, Kohler's special blend oils are available from your KOHLER dealer.

Synthetic oils meeting the classifications listed in the owner's manual may be used, however oil changes still need to be performed at the recommended intervals. To allow the piston rings to seat properly, Kohler recommends operating a new or rebuilt engine for at least 50 hours on standard oil before switching to the synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Synthetic will lower the operating temp of the engine over dino oil. I was in a Briggs training once, and we measured two identical engines. The one running syn ran 20 degress cooler measured at the crankcase.

So, I vote 10-30 synthetic after the break in period (50 hrs).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to post a follow up. I ended up running dino for the first 50 hours as recommended by Kohler for the break-in. After that I've been using Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke 10W-30/SAE 30 Small Engine Oil. This is especially designed for small engines that run hot. So far so good... been on this for about 2 years now.

·
Gear Driver
332 Posts
I wanted to post a follow up. I ended up running dino for the first 50 hours as recommended by Kohler for the break-in. After that I've been using Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke 10W-30/SAE 30 Small Engine Oil. This is especially designed for small engines that run hot. So far so good... been on this for about 2 years now.
Thanks for the update!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts