My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. I've consulted Kohler's (fantastic) online service manual for the K341, but I'm still a bit confused. I have some new parts that don't look like the OEM parts (rotators for valves), and I also have a 100% unidentified part. I have bought virtually every possible replacement part for this k341 (to donate into an original MF14 lawn tractor I have). But the only machine shop I found that would touch it (and then did trash work for $440) made zero records, remembers nothing, and possibly lost parts? Anyway, I need to know if left vs right are compatible, and what/where far right is?
Snapchat-239920366.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Wish you had put some words by the pics. What is old/new and which is the unidentified?
Old vs new valve rotators(I figure that's the ?) I would go with whatever Kohler 'superceded by'... When you seek the old part number listed in the exploded view, you come up with a new design or flavor, 'superceded by 23155-10s(made that up). You should be able to use the new part in exactly the same way as the old.
If I guess correctly, the last part shown is the ?? one. It looks to be a valve spring 'shim'. Some shims can be used to get proper valve spring tension at a given compressed height and thus be able to use a valve before needing to replace with new.(or to 'blue print' an engine by having spring pressure at x.x measured height be x.xlbs).
It does also look like a valve keeper washer? The machined piece that sits atop the spring and has the tapered hole for the valve 'keeper' pair(wedges). Can't tell from the pic.
Or give the machine shop 'workmanship', it's possible it belongs to Hermans Clinton 3.5hp vertical from his 1966 Monkey Wards 21" push mower. Parts thrown in the general direction of the box holding the Wards engine may have ended up in the Kohler box.
You may toss it or add it to the desktop story collection of 'wth' parts. I have several burnt valves in mine along with the stories in my head.
tom

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's the parts manual for K341, scroll down to pg.16 item bubble numbers 7&9 is the 5241301 new parts you have there, and item bubble number 5 is the 235011 new part you have , the part list is below the picture. Not sure if the far right mystery part is in the picture on pg. 16 or not. Hope this helps a little

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Firstly: Thanks to both of you. It's impressive to get advice on a 40+ year old engine w/in 24 hours, much less from two sources. I do believe after reviewing for the 100th time the Kohler manual, I have the correct parts. I'm going to post some more pics here to detail my questions, which have been answered already, and to ask about the identity of 3 parts I can't seem to find. I'll see if I can do this in a more logical manner this time:

Question if the new part (correct according to Kohler) replaces the old:

Is this correct (it is according to Kohler) (also, see second pic):

Finally: any idea what these three unidentified parts are, or where they go?
Snapchat-1819484299.jpg
Snapchat-1819484299.jpg
Snapchat-297999450.jpg
Snapchat-1854868863.jpg
Snapchat-258010538.jpg
Snapchat-588503487.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Firstly: Thanks to both of you. It's impressive to get advice on a 40+ year old engine w/in 24 hours, much less from two sources. I do believe after reviewing for the 100th time the Kohler manual, I have the correct parts. I'm going to post some more pics here to detail my questions, which have been answered already, and to ask about the identity of 3 parts I can't seem to find. I'll see if I can do this in a more logical manner this time:

Question if the new part (correct according to Kohler) replaces the old:

View attachment 2487496

Is this correct (it is according to Kohler) (also, see second pic):

View attachment 2487497
View attachment 2487498

Finally: any idea what these three unidentified parts are, or where they go?
View attachment 2487496 View attachment 2487496 View attachment 2487497 View attachment 2487498 View attachment 2487499 View attachment 2487500
I believe that the picture you have asking for proper assy. Positions , I think the rotator as you have it positioned needs turned in the other direction along with the 2 retainers. Those other mystery parts.......? , The first one looks like a spacer of sorts that middle one like Tom mentioned resembles a valve spring keeper , that last one just wondering......by the picture , the "Green" looking area , is that rubber, plastic,or metal? It looks like rubber and if so I would say it's got to be a seal of sorts just can't pin point where. I'll do a little more digging and see if I can find anything out. I'll just go out on a limb and say that your question about the new rotator looking different from the original one , I will say if that is what Kohler says is for your engine then it is probably correct. I have seen sometimes for what ever reason some companies may "Tweak" an existing part maybe because of some issue that occurred over some time and either give the tweaked part a new number or keep it under the same number.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe that the picture you have asking for proper assy. Positions , I think the rotator as you have it positioned needs turned in the other direction along with the 2 retainers. Those other mystery parts.......? , The first one looks like a spacer of sorts that middle one like Tom mentioned resembles a valve spring keeper , that last one just wondering......by the picture , the "Green" looking area , is that rubber, plastic,or metal? It looks like rubber and if so I would say it's got to be a seal of sorts just can't pin point where. I'll do a little more digging and see if I can find anything out. I'll just go out on a limb and say that your question about the new rotator looking different from the original one , I will say if that is what Kohler says is for your engine then it is probably correct. I have seen sometimes for what ever reason some companies may "Tweak" an existing part maybe because of some issue that occurred over some time and either give the tweaked part a new number or keep it under the same number.
Thanks, the rotator is definitely in the correct orientation, as the inside is tapered (narrow toward bottom), which locks the keeper into the valve. Which means the retainers are also correct, as they have to "retain" the spring, and butt into the top of the valve spring opening in the block.

The third part (left to right) in the "unidentified parts" picture: I do believe there is plastic. I'll have to check when I get back to the garage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the reply, For what it's worth and maybe you already checked it out, I was looking on YOUTUBE last night, if you enter in search, K341 valve adjustment the first two videos that appear, the first one if you look closely it appears to have the style of rotators on like the new ones you have, the second video has a "yellow" painted engine and it almost looks like it has on the springs that one mystery part you have (the one in the middle of your pictures). That same part , does it have a tapered hole on the other side that may hold the retainers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah....I was dead wrong. No wonder I couldn't get the rotator to lock the keepers in. Flipped it around like you said and it went together smoothly. Thanks for the correction!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts