My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just playing around this evening. Pulled the centrifical clutch off the crankshaft (ruining it..it was frozen anyway) and took side by sides with a little 16hp out of a wheel horse for comparisoin. The K330 is one big old beast.

Thought I'd see if it would fit in a wide frame Cub. Had to remove the oil drain plug and the crank sticks through the grille opening and is against the lower grille. Goofy aircleaner pipe kept hood from closing. Could probably find a pully to fit the crank and use a starter/generator on it after rigging up some mounts. I'd have to come up with a coupler for the hydro drive shaft. Sure would look different.
It turns with compression, but I don't even know how it would run. It will barely fit though.

Attachments

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Thank you- thank you. I was given a 129 Cub with a hole in the block, I'd thought about putting the K341 out of my MF1650 in it and putting a 20hp V-twin in the MF. That air intake can be changed out, on my 1650 the air cleaner mounts right to the carb, the Kohler K's in the Cubs did too, but a Cub air filter won't let the hood close on my MF. Those pics sure saved me a lot of wondering and work. Think I'll try to find a good short block and rebiuld it for that 129 Cub, I'm going to give it to my ole racin buddy's sis so all really care about is that it'll run when she needs it to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just playing around this evening. Pulled the centrifical clutch off the crankshaft (ruining it..it was frozen anyway) and took side by sides with a little 16hp out of a wheel horse for comparisoin. The K330 is one big old beast.

Thought I'd see if it would fit in a wide frame Cub. Had to remove the oil drain plug and the crank sticks through the grille opening and is against the lower grille. Goofy aircleaner pipe kept hood from closing. Could probably find a pully to fit the crank and use a starter/generator on it after rigging up some mounts. I'd have to come up with a coupler for the hydro drive shaft. Sure would look different.
It turns with compression, but I don't even know how it would run. It will barely fit though.
Hello, I also have one of those kohler k330 engine with a broken cam gear and cracked head. Do you know of any engines or parts engines that are for sale?

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh no..It was just out of curiosity. I sold the tractor for not much long ago. The engine is also going to get listed on ebay soon. Too many projects.

·
Certified Technician
8,504 Posts
K330 defies the K numbering system.

33 cubes and 0 cylinders?

oddball engine!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
That was a engine that was made before the K-Series. They made the 10, 12 , 14, and 16 HP the same dimensions on the out side with the K-Series.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am pretty sure that it is a K-series and I know that some of the other K-series engines were produced the same time these engines were produced,at least they were offered in PK tractors the same time.From what I have gathered,the K330 and 331 were identical or near identical.

I just picked up a 1965 Economy tractor with a K331 engine and as near as I can tell,that was the only tractor that offered that engine and there are only a handful of those tractors with that engine known to exist although there may very well be hundreds of them out there.

The K330 and 331 are a pressure lubricated engine and parts are almost non existent.They were also used in generators.

Did you make out pretty well when you sold it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts