My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I have -according to the serial number on the instrument panel- a 1979 566. I say that with a little uncertainty because I bought this third hand as part of a lot of gravely stuff that represented "the leftovers" of someone's collection and there is some evidence of mixed parts/frankensteining among items in the lot.

With that grain of salt taken, the engine went kablooey this week and I need to replace either major parts of it or the motor altogether. In order to do either -I have been told- I need the Spec Number. So I don't accidentally swap out a crank with the wrong end on it or something. He says that the K301's that went on Gravelys had one of two Spec Numbers and I need to find out which one I have.

The problem is that the foil sticker on the cowling that is supposed to have the serial number and all this vital info has no printing left on it. It's just a square silver sticker. Do any of you know another way to tell what I've got? is there a feature I can see or a measurement I can take that will let me know?

Thanks a bunch -
-Lucky

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh. OK... I have that wrong, then.

I just looked up the serial number from the instrument panel again (00 400069) and it points to 1979. So, 12hp motor, swiftmatic transmission, and electric start make it a 5665?

Regardless, I'm trying to get to the Kohler engine Spec Number.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Measure the crankshaft output end diameter and the length out of the case. They should be able to match it from there. Don't be surprised if you get a chuckle when you call and ask for Kohler motor info.. Kohler manufactures engines not motors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called Kohler and they said to call Gravely.

I called Gravely and they were able to look it up based on the serial number. If it helps anyone else out, the spec number for my engine (400xxx serial number, 1979 5665) is K301-47814.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I called Kohler and they said to call Gravely.

I called Gravely and they were able to look it up based on the serial number. If it helps anyone else out, the spec number for my engine (400xxx serial number, 1979 5665) is K301-47814.

My list shows 47814 as a 1984 spec Gravely Kohler K301....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, let's hope there weren't too many differences in whatever parts I need to get the thing running again over the 5665 run.

I spent a long time on hold for that information. I would hate to find out it was wasted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts