My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have located a K301 out of a John Deere, and it has the 1" X 3" output (crankshaft). For my application, I need for the output shaft to be the larger 1 1/8in.X 3 25/32in.

Do you guys think that it would cause any issues with making an adapter to increase the size of the output shaft?

Or does anyone have an extra crank with the larger output shaft?:thThumbsU

·
15,000 +posts!
20,843 Posts
You may be able to buy a steel sleeve with a keyway groove that will adapt a 1" shaft to 1-1/8" at a bearing supply store--or a bushing that you could slot yourself,and make a custom key to fit...or have one made at a machine shop for $$$$$$$----but couldn't you just swap pulleys on with a 1" bore instead,or are they something special you cant substitute different ones for?...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was thinking that the steel sleeve would probably work. The motor is from a John Deere, but I am going to put it into a PowerKing (the PK flywheel is 1 1/8").

Here is a sleeve bearing that might work.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#6381k18/=1rbcu5

I wonder how hard it would be to cut a slot on the sleeve for the key? Would a band saw be the best thing to use? If I clamped the sleeve down, I could also use a cut off wheel.

Does anyone see why this would not work???

·
15,000 +posts!
20,843 Posts
It will work with a few "buts"...first,I'd say steel would be much better in this application..
I see you say you need the shaft a bit longer than the crank PTO is,(3" VS 3-25/32),so using the bushing or sleeve only gives you the 1-1/8" O.D. you need,but not the extra 25/32" in length you need..and a 1/8" wall thickness sleeve wont carry the load alone,if a pulley needs to ride right at the end of it..you'd at least need to put a slug of 1" stock inside it to beef it up enough,if you planned on using the bushing or sleeve to gain the extra length you'd need,and it still might be "iffy"..be better to make it from solid stock bored and turned down to the right sizes really,if the pulley needs to be at the end of the shaft or close too it....

I have used a table saw with a metal cutoff wheel for the blade to cut slots in things like tubing and bushings..the right way would be to have it done in a milling machine though,a machine shop might not charge a lot to do that for you..I would call a few,and ask about having a custom adapter made,with a lathe and a bridgeport or CNC machine they can make you an adapter with the correct dimensions ,the hardest part will be making the keyway slot inside the adapter..it might not cost as much as you think it might..I have one shop that does some work once in a while like that,for pretty reasonable rates..

Another way out you might be able to use ,they sell hubs with keyed bores for pulleys and sprockets that you weld to them ("Weld-A Pulley and Weld-A Sprocket hubs) ,perhaps you could use one with a 1" keyed bore welded to a length of steel shafting 1-1/8" O.D. with the center bored out to 1" to slip over the crank,that would eliminate having to broach the inside of the adapter for the keyway--but the hub might end up sitting right where a pulley needs to go too..if its possible to just get pulleys with 1-1/8" bore that would work instead,it would save a lot of work..would be easier to add one of those hubs I just mentioned to a pulley to increase its length if need be,than make the adapter...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts