My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,I bought a Jacobsen garden tractor a couple of months ago and it came with a spare engine,a Kohler K181. The engine on the tractor was in pretty poor condition,but I made some repairs and got it running but with very bad compression.I am in the middle of rebuilding the K181(the spare engine)But was wondering about the engine on the tractor,now unfortunately some genus decided to give the tractor as well as the engine shroud a bad red paint job,after he realized he painted over all the identifying marks on the engines name plate and in a stroke of brilliance decided to clean it up with what looks like a wire brush.Now I'm left with only a stamped serial number and a spec number.I know these tractors were originally made using the kohler K161,but am unsure about this machine.I was wondering if anyone could help me further identify this engine just by the information I have the serial number is 492796 and the spec number is 28544E. Here is a pic of the engine.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
go to the Kohler site; there should be only one size of K series engine whose spec number starts with "28" like all Magnum 12s (M12 model) spec starts with "47"....

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don B. it is a kohler k161.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts