My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an odd-ball question, but I've noticed some mid-later 1970's Case tractors equipped with Kohler K's that still have the belt driven starter, generator. Why was this, when companies like JD switched to the more 'modern' Kohler K's (with conventional starters and voltage regulated charging) as early as 1970-ish?? Reason I ask is my family had a 1970 JD 110 with a 10hp Kohler. It did not have a belt driven starter/generator?

Joel

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I can't answer the question of why but they apparently used both types of starters over the same time period so one is not necessarily "newer". Some people prefer the starter generator units as they are a lot easier to service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a '73 444 it originally had a starter generator on it that the previous owner converted to a conventional starter. It starts good and runs good except it intermittently dies out like someone just shut the key off. I didn't have the tractor to long last year before I put it away for the winter so I didn't do to much to figure out what was wrong with it. It would be running fine and then just die out like someone shut the key off, you get a no crank situation when you try to restart it, put a jump to it and it would fire right back up and run for awhile, then same thing. Sometimes I could mow the whole lawn without a problem, sometimes it would act up. It started getting worse just before I put it away for the year which is what I was hoping for, I hate intermittent problems they're harder to diagnose. I used it yesterday for the first time this year and it worked great. The reason I put this post on this thread is just to say that it appears you can convert to a conventional starter, unless I find out that my problems are in someway a result of the conversion, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Check your points. I just finished going round and round with a full size tractor with the same syptoms. Sometimes it would run great, other times I might go 10 feet. I cleaned the carburetor 3 times. Changed bad plug wires. Cleaned fuel tank. Finally filed the points REALLY good and it has performed for the past few days without all the hoopla I had been experiencing. My son, the certified mechanic, tried to tell me.....but no, I wouldn't listen because the symptoms just didn't seem to match. HA!!!! Joke's on Dad!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a set of points sittin' here to go in, just needed to get the yard mowed in between rain. Tractor worked fine this time but points are going in anyway just so I know what I'm dealing with. Thanks for the tip and hopefully I'll have the same results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts