My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a Kohler generator i picked yesterday, it came out of an RV. Now i plan on making this portable, it's now mounted to my little yard cart/trailer. The hour meter reads 233 hours, and looks to be a 14 hp. It didnt come with any info, so im going to look into it. here's some pics.

This might be too hard to see...

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice find!

1800rpm Huh? That thing will easily out live you.

I fired it up the other day after installing 4 120v outlets, and installing some new switches. I checked with a meter and it's getting 112v 118v at idle. I tested it with a 12 amp 1/2 drill for surge, and had no change in idle at all, so i'm not really sure what the surge watts are on this one.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Can I paint it... Goooooooold! :)

That's a beast! Nice and clean too!

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There it is, ready to go!! works great!! rear engine mounts are shot, so i need to find new ones, or see how i can mount it solid. It runs smooth, so i don't see why not. besides that it all good!

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice grab. I picked up a gen set with an old C/I Briggs a few weeks back, it has a 240V outlet. I still have to take pics of all my new goodies and projects. I picked some new projects and want to clear out some tractors. I will need to put mine on a new mounting so all those pics are great. Thanx!
I would like to wire mine for 240v, if i can, and get a 6 circuit transfer switch for the house, and install a 12v converter, or is that an inverter? agh whatever it's called.... looking forward to the pics Mr. Chic.

Mike

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sell it to me and go buy a portable one .. thats how :)

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sell it to me and go buy a portable one .. thats how :)
It is portable. it's got wheel under it now.

Main reason i wanted one is because we had an outage about 3-4 weeks ago, for about 15 hours, now that i have one we probably won't have another one.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
It is portable. it's got wheel under it now.

Main reason i wanted one is because we had an outage about 3-4 weeks ago, for about 15 hours, now that i have one we probably won't have another one.
I hear that. When we moved to our new home about 2.5 yrs ago, the building manager for the contractor told me that they had a 3 day outage in early winter. Being I have a near new 8000 watt unit, I wanted to wire the house to run off of it. Forget the extension cord nonsense. Haven't used it for an hour since then. Fired it up to check circuits after I had the electrician who originally wired the house, install the sub panel. Oh well. It's there when ever I may need it at least.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If my power goes out I have to drive an hour each way to get to my generator... by then the power would probably be back on.
I keep mine in my camper at the lake.. I had a small one here but the engine locked up on it.. it would at least run a tv and fan and the modem for the phone.

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We don't get many outages, but the day we got ours, the wind blow so hard. and poof..no power. Power company said after my wife called that the power will be out for a min. of 24 hours, why? who knows. But what made matters worse was my daughters birthday party was the next day, all the food my wife got was sitting in the freezers and the fridge. my wife was freakin, thinking it's all going to be ruined including the birthday party.
So i went to work that day and when i got there i asked the President of the company if he knew anyone with a generator, he said he had one, 15,000 watt at his house, and after i told him what was going on, he got 3 guys from the shop to help me load it and followed me to my house to hook everything up, while we were on the clock. So he saved the day big time. and he would'nt except any money.
so from that day i figured i better start looking for one new or used.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts