My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran out of gas and put some good gas in the tank, than tried to start. No go so i sprayed gas in the carb and she ran until it used up that gas. Fuel tank is in the rear down low so it uses a fuel pump. I took the gas cap off and blew in it, now i have gas to the fuel pump. Still no start. So I took the line off at the carb and cranked it over and no gas. So what is the trick to get the fuel pump to pump gas. It ran great until I ran out of gas. I think I read where them pumps are high dollar. Do I have to prim that pump. This is the first one I have had with a fuel pump. Help. Oh yes a picture of the pump. :thThumbsU

Attachments

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
no prime pumps. a new pump is less then $50.00 depends on where you go, that is if thats the problem. Check the inline fuel filter if it's before the pump, there's gas at the pump... should check the flow by disconnecting at the pump from the tank.

The pumps are easy to take apart and clean or inspec, no springs are going to fly out in 10 different directions. I'd suggest taking the pump apart and seeing whats going on inside first.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Tap the bowl under the carb with a wrench to be sure the float isnt stuck shut.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Also make sure your anti-diesel solenoid under the carb is working (should click when the key is turned from OFF to RUN). Might not have run out of gas at all...

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
"So I took the line off at the carb and cranked it over and no gas".
ah. Well, assuming the pump arm didnt break off, its probably not a bad diaphragm as those cause fuel to dump into the crankcase...could be one of the 2 check valves/discs stuck.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I took the fuel pump off and put it in a vice and put a hose on the fuel tank side and put it in a large glass of water and pumped it, After a short time she was pumping good. So I put it back on and that is all the time I had to mess with it. I will get back to it when I get back from New York. I think I have the bull by the horns now. :thThumbsU

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I got back and time to look at this. I got the fuel pump working, but now i found the throttle lever on the governor shaft loose. Can anybody tell me the proper setting on this. Do you set the governor shaft all the way clock ways or counter clock ways or in the center. It keeps wanting to rev super high. I have never mess with this part before. Thanks for any help. :thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
move the lever back and forth and not which direction the governor shaft rotates when the lever is moved from idle to full throttle.

Hold the lever at full throttle and rotate the governor shaft all the way in the direction of full throttle, without moving anything, tighten the pinch bolt on the governor arm.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Red you be the man. Thank you so very much. :thThumbsU

1 - 10 of 10 Posts