My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant get my Kohler 19.5HP Magnum Twin ( model# MV20S) to run right. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the fuel pump. The new filter runs dry after a bit. To eliminate trash in the tank being a problem I connected a fuel line from the filter and ran it into a gas can. Gas can at a high elevation and it still wouldn't pick up gas.
I put on all new fuel lines and took the carb apart and cleaned it and re- adjusted it. Mower ran fine for 15 min +or- and quit. No gas in filter.

It is $28.00 +tax at my local CarQuest but they have to order from PrimeLine and PrimeLine has a $100 minimun order. The cheapest I can find on line is $58 + shipping.
Anyone have an idea of where I can get one at a reasonable price? Or have any advice on what I may be doing wrong in my troubleshooting. Small engine repair is not my strongest suite. LOL

Primeline part # is 5255903S and Stens part # is 055-405.

Thanks for any help.
Marvin

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have another question. Has anyone ever bypassed the regular fuel pump and installed and electric fuel pump? If so, what pressure in pounds would be required? I imagine less than 3 pounds.
Thanks,
Marvin

·
Banned
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have another question. Has anyone ever bypassed the regular fuel pump and installed and electric fuel pump? If so, what pressure in pounds would be required? I imagine less than 3 pounds.
Thanks,
Marvin

I know some people have done this ..Me myself have not ..By the time you buy a in line pump and the clamps and wire it you will have about the same amont of money tied up in it if you just bought the right pump

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, and Thanks, I understand but I have a couple of pumps and everything I need on hand left over from other projects. Won't have to buy anything unless my pumps have too much pressure.
I need an idea of how much pressure the WALBRO carb will take before the needle and seat let too much gas to pass.
Marvin

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
A low pressure electric [ 3-4 lbs] will work.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Right, and Thanks, I understand but I have a couple of pumps and everything I need on hand left over from other projects. Won't have to buy anything unless my pumps have too much pressure.
I need an idea of how much pressure the WALBRO carb will take before the needle and seat let too much gas to pass.
Marvin

I am not sure on the pressure ..I know most in line pumps put out 14 psi and have to be regulated down ..This is a guess 3 psi but not 100% sure

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks rscurtis, I'm on the way out to start work on it. Finally cooled off a bit. I checked the dip stick and no gas smell so maybe I can clean it. If not I'll install one of my electric pumps.

Marvin

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I certainly appreciate everyones help. With this thread alone I went from "Totally clueless" to "Hey, it's working fine now". LOL

I took the OEM fuel pump apart again and noticed that one of the round, button type reid valves was loose. I know I pressed them in the time before.
What was happening is that when the diaphram moved inward rather than pulling gasoline into the chamber it mearly pulled the opposite reid valve out into the chamber. (Path of least resistance.) I put them both back in and peened the edges of the plastic with my spring loaded center punch. Just enough force to keep them seated I THINK.
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad222/GA_Boy/MVC-162F.jpg
What is this electric solenoid? It has a plunger that goes into the carb
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad222/GA_Boy/MVC-161F.jpg

Thanks again and now on to bigger and better things. LOL Iwill now start a thread on how my tiller/mower combination is supposed to work.

Marvin

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know that on my '67 VW Baja there is a solenoid to keep additional gas from entering the carb when the ignition is shut off.
Marvin

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I hate my MV-20 Kohler on my Yard-Man--I may have to remove the fuel pump and the carb to clean them,and it appears they stayed awake nights thinking up where to mount both where it would be the most difficult to reach and work on!..looks like I'll have to remove the entire hood/grille assembly,and even with that off,acessability still sucks to get at the pump,and the carb bowl sits right against a metal baffle /heat sheild for the muffler,so you cant just remove the bowl to clean crud out,the whole carb must be removed...

I think Kohler has gone way downhill since their cast iron one lungers --my Magnum might need an ignition coil/module,and that appears to be an al day affair to get at also,plus it costs 100+ bucks..and the starter drive has never engauged right from day one..I'm thinking it might not be worth 250+ bucks to fix all its woes..
Thank GOD I have the Suburbans,if I had to depend on this Kohler to mow my lawn or others for a living,I'd be S-O-L..:rolleyes:..though it has run well for 10+ years and still does WHEN it decides to run,I'm still not too impressed with the "Magnum" vertical shaft engines ..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts