My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Quote: "I would like to use all my CFL's for target practice, but then I would have to sweep up all the toxic materials to protect the environment..."

That's what I do with major appliances even if they're only a couple years old. If they didn't work when new, a repair man can only bring them back to THAT point........so, what's the point? With LEDs, the light produced is VERY white but doesn't project so that you can see farther, better.

·
Registered
142 Posts
With LEDs, the light produced is VERY white but doesn't project so that you can see farther, better.
Actually LEDs are available in color temperatures of 2500°K (warm) to over 4000°K (very white). I prefer the warmer tones.

I also prefer using the equivalent of 150 watt LEDs in the basement and other areas where I depend on hood lighting and 60 equiv in the living areas.

But there are areas where I'll never be able to fully get away from incandescent bulbs. My outside lights turn on at dusk and drop to 1/4 brightness until they detect movement. LEDs will not work in these fixtures (start to flicker or just stop). Garage door opener lights had to remain incandescents until Genie developed a LED specifically for this purpose. Ridiculous price though.

And the master bath has IR heat lamps. Can't replace those with LEDs. Good thing that incandescents will continue to be around for decades to come. States like South Carolina have passed legislation permitting incandescent production and use. (I see a black market developing here. Making a light bulb run down south ..... ?)

I got a laugh over those who are complaining about "bureaucratics" who are passing legislation on things like these. LEDs are being mandated for use in virtually every country on earth. The US is actually behind countries like Russia. China, Europe, etc. All of these energy savings laws are directly related to global warming. (Maybe what we need is more global dimming. Sadly, it may turns out that may the only thing that will save the planet if the oil barons, billionaires continue to have their way.) Ok, I'm ranting. Time for a couple of Rob Roy's.

For those of us who are "older" (70s is still young, right?) it's our kids, kids that will reap the benefits (or the tragedy if we fail.)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Actually LEDs are available in color temperatures of 2500°K (warm) to over 4000°K (very white). I prefer the warmer tones.

I got a laugh over those who are complaining about "bureaucratics" who are passing legislation on things like these. LEDs are being mandated for use in virtually every country on earth. The US is actually behind countries like Russia. China, Europe, etc. All of these energy savings laws are directly related to global warming. (Maybe what we need is more global dimming. Sadly, it may turns out that may the only thing that will save the planet if the oil barons, billionaires continue to have their way.) Ok, I'm ranting. Time for a couple of Rob Roy's.

For those of us who are "older" (70s is still young, right?) it's our kids, kids that will reap the benefits (or the tragedy if we fail.)
The complaint about the bureaucrats is not that we shouldn't be doing everything we can to reduce our emissions, actually a LOT more is needed. My complaint is that the political rhetoric and government approach to management results in some bad legislation and misdirected funds and efforts with limited or negative returns to the environment. A feel-good rather than doing-good result. I once talked to a rancher who was very proud of his wind-powered generator connected to the grid. He said it would provide most of his power (when the wind blows), return excess power to the grid (but not much), and he would recoup his $15,000 cost in only 10 years or so. "Wow"', I thought, "what a great deal for all" - until he said "yep, the government paid for the other $150,000 to build it". That government money comes from us tax-payers, not some magical free lunch.

Oh, by the way, I like LED's. The early efforts were less than stellar, but that was a development phase and has resulted in a wide variety of applications that meet the old needs and are useful for a lot of new ideas, too. And they really do save significant energy over incandescents. There are a lot of good laws out there, like scrubbing contaminants and CO2 from coal-power stacks, where results can be measured. It would be interesting to compare the real costs and savings for the many environmental projects out there. Probably won't happen in this country.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Most things in the past 15 years or so have been "feel good" laws.
Not realistic at all. Idealistic dreamers that aren't geniuses like the dreamers of the past that came up with things that really helped the world.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Most things in the past 15 years or so have been "feel good" laws.
Not realistic at all. Idealistic dreamers that aren't geniuses like the dreamers of the past that came up with things that really helped the world.
Yes, like the "Green New Deal". Now there's a winner!?!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts