My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kohler command pro 25 on my snapper ztr mower. Was mowing today for about an hour and all of the sudden it stated backfiring and died. I tried to restart it but all it does is backfire throught the carb pretty bad. Anyone have any idea what may be the cause? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes, it sounds out of time to me. My uncle had one and he had an issue with the flywheel pin having fallen out and knocked it out of time. I think Eddy is right on this one though.

You need to turn the engine over by hand and see if everything moves ok. If the valve train looks ok check the flywheel key.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
My Mother's Husband has a Simplicity Legacy XL (2006) with a Command Pro and it started doing the same thing at 235 hours.. Pulled the valve covers to find that the rocker arms snapped off completely, leaving a good portion of the stud burried in the head (about 1/6th inch below the surface of the head).

Real good engines!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removed the valve covers tonight and indeed in the number one head one of the rocker arm bolts is snapped off. Any one have a suggestion on how to fix this problem?

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
How old is the mower? Before doing anything I would check to see if there is an updated rocker or head. If there is and the mower isn't too old you may get kohler to replace it.

Dan

·
6,553 Posts
In the case of my Mother's Husband's Simplicity Legacy XL, it's a 2006 with 235 hours.. I don't really think a so-called "Professional" engine should be breaking off the rocker arm studs at 235 hours.

Dealer said he couldn't find any info from Kohler about an issue (big surprise there...) and of course it was out of warranty..

The good part is that the head studs are made out of garbage steel that is only surface hardened so that means you can take the head off and a machinist can easily put it on a milling machine and drill out the broken stud and if he hits the threads they can be heli-coiled. That's what had to be done on the Simplicity.

Word to the wise wytale, replace ALL FOUR rocker studs.. Because no sooner did he gets his Simplicity back, 10 minutes later another rocker stud snapped off on the opposite head.

My opinion? Garbage Engine....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks brett was planning on replacing them all. Think i may try drilling it out myself. usually have good luck with it and the guy at the mower shop said it would be atleast 2 weeks before he can get it in.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Those Kohler Command 25's suck... the earlier ones (1999-2004) had serious head gasket problems as well. Junk engines for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I had a bunch of Command engines when I had my rental business that were used on stump grinders and one in a Terramite. They were actually quite good, except the stump grinder engines with the standard air fiters would only last 300 hours before the rings were shot. New rings and they were good as new. Never had any valve train, head gasket, or ignition trouble. These engines were late '90's-early '00's production. Perhaps some specs were changed (cheapened) on later engines. But I must admit, when you take one of these apart and see how it's made, Kohler didn't give you anything extra for a rainy day. It's definitely not your father's K engine.

·
6,553 Posts
Yep not even close to a K series..

I'm very disappointed as I thought Kohler was the last big name small engine supplier that made a good engine. I now realize if you want a good engine it better be a Liquid Cooled Kaw or a Yanmar Diesel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts