My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new mower the other day its a MTD Yard-man with a kohler command cv20s 65510, Trying to figure out whats causing the milky oil my other tractor with a CV22s has the same problem but none of my CHs have the problem is it the oil seperator? And should i replace it? Just put a brand new kohler OEM oil filter and fresh oil in it yesterday and ran it for about 2 hours
20200213_103606.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found the breather reed in the vavle cover on my CV22, what should i do?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The milky colored oil is an indication of water getting into the crankcase, whether it is the crankcase breather or what, you need to find where. Hopefully you aren't using a pressure washer to clean it, right?

·
Premium Member
2,938 Posts
Given that it's an air cooled engine, and milky like that normally indicates water in the oil, how long as it been since you changed the oil/filter?

Can you blow through that oil separator? If you can, then I doubt that's the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given that it's an air cooled engine, and milky like that normally indicates water in the oil, how long as it been since you changed the oil/filter?

Can you blow through that oil separator? If you can, then I doubt that's the problem.
It was changed 2 weeks ago with fresh 10w30 and has been in my building

·
Premium Member
2,938 Posts
It was changed 2 weeks ago with fresh 10w30 and has been in my building
Was the previous oil like that as well? How does the oil look via the dipstick if you leave it sitting for awhile, perhaps overnight?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
You mentioned that the tractor was new. Is that new to you or new out of the box? Any idea of hours on the tractor? If the engine is older, it is very likely that you have sludge in the bottom of the crankcase that is comtaminated with water. Now that could be from moisture in the air over time or could be another way.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
You surely are not over filling. Air beat into the oil will look creamie. If all else fails use a better quality oil.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How long is it getting run for. What you have is condensation (water ) build up . Repeated short runs will build up condensation from the heating and cooling cycles . The average engine needs an hour of running to boil off the condensation from the previous use.
Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You mentioned that the tractor was new. Is that new to you or new out of the box? Any idea of hours on the tractor? If the engine is older, it is very likely that you have sludge in the bottom of the crankcase that is comtaminated with water. Now that could be from moisture in the air over time or could be another way.
Both of the mowers dont have an hour meter the yardman is a 1997 i think and the yard pro is a 1999

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Thank you for the reply, Gavin. I was simply judging from the wear spots on the pictures you so kindly provided. So, basically both are somewhere in the area of 20 years old and likely have some sludge & water in the crankcase. You are going to need to flush this out. Remove the spark plugs. There are many youtube videos on how to flush the sludge from the engines using diesel and other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts