My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my neighbor's older Simplicity zero turn. It will run fine sometimes for 10-15 minutes then it starts running ruff and eventually shuts down. I pulled the plug and it is fuel fouled.
I pulled the bowl off the carburetor and took off the float and needle sprayed carb cleaner up into the carb, put it back together, and cleaned the plug. It ran fine again for a while then fuel fouled the plug again.
My thoughts is it's possibly a bad needle and seat, or since it runs fine for 15-20 minutes maybe the coil is acting up as the engine gets warm?
I cant find a model name/number anywhere for the mower and the engine info sticker is missing so I'm not sure how to look up parts for it.
The carburetor is a walbro (looks like the LMK series?) and a Kohler kit with needle and seat is like $40..Instead I thought about trying one of those ebay replacement carburetors which are around $20, but not sure which 1 to get.
All I know about the engine is it is a kohler command single with fuel pump and a walbro carb..from pictures i've seen on the web it looks like a CV15/16, but that seems like it would be a small engine for a zero turn with hydro pumps and motors and a 44" deck.
anyway I'll attach some pics and maybe someone can help me determine what the engine is.

thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Lots lol I buy and sell used equipment and do small engine repair
235 Posts
Needs a carb clean or a rebuild or replace the whole carb ...I just put a new one on for a client as his was flooding out and filled the crankcase full of gas

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
You can go to the Simplicity site and download the manual for that machine...while it was apart did you look at the float and make sure that it was actually floating?...no holes in it, or jammed in down position?...with that crank filling up with gas... a new needle valve ..and seat if used in the aplication take care of it...why a whole new carb

·
Premium Member
Lots lol I buy and sell used equipment and do small engine repair
235 Posts
Amazon carbs are a hit and miss U get good ones and bad ones rebuild if possible. It's OE Carb and better quality

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I can't find a sticker/tag or anything on the mower or engine to identify what model the mower is so I wouldn't know what to look up on simplicity's site.The owner said he remembered a sticker (before it fell off) that said it was a ZT1500, but a google on that says it should be a 42" with a briggs twin..If that's the case then it was repowered sometime in the past. Also I'm pretty sure it is a 44" deck as it has a part number under the seat for a 44" deck belt. Do y'all think the engine is a CV15 or 16?

I ended up carefully taking the carb off (gaskets not damaged) and cleaned it out thoroughly with brake cleaner and blew it out with compressed air.
1 problem I found is the idle mixture screw is turned all the way in and is frozen..tried soaking it in penetrating oil, but it still wont budge so I left it alone for fear of breaking it off.
I put it back together and the mower now seems to run pretty good except anything below half throttle it will die (owner said it's been that way all the time he's owned it) ..I'm guessing that's because of the idle mixture screw issue.

Anyway I returned it to my neighbor and told him to let me know if it acts up again, then its probably going to need the carburetor replaced with a used oem or a Amazon special.

thanks

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
327 Posts
The model number should be stamped on the frame or a plate in many cases, sometimes under the seat or on a side frame rail. Some were up towards the front, some were towards the real wheel. Some is on a plastic coated black and white sticker. It will usually say 'Model' with the 7 digit number.
Look for a 7 digit number, sometimes the start with '169','269','469' or another set, followed by 4 other numbers.
If you can get that number, it will tell you everything you would need to know of the machine, model, what engine originally came on it, mower deck, year produced, you can find all parts, bulletins, service manuals, and everything you need to know about it. You need that number for a dealer to look anything up on it.
On some models there is also a model number on the mower deck. Some tractors came with the deck installed from the factory, others the deck was seperate because they had optional decks for them so it was separate.

·
Money Pit
769 Posts
On these older engines the metal fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb will get rusty corroded inside and small particles will brake off and get stuck in the needle and seat causing a flooding issue. A quick repair is to install a extra fuel filter at the carb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts