My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to take a picture of my governor plate. But this is a swap situation. Had a Kohler Command 14.5 hp that got gas in the oil and blew. Tried to find exact replacement, but found this 16hp, instead. The plate on the 16 hp was different so I changed the governor set ups so the throttle cable would match up. The carb was completely soaked and cleaned. It runs good, with only a small hitch in the exhaust every so often. Not really concerned, because I feel like it is just the adjustment issue I have a question about.

On the carb, is a high speed adjustment screw, adjusted aprox at 1 1/2 turns. Also idle speed adjustment. Those I understand how they must be adjusted. On the governor plate is 2 screws, which I assume are high speed rpm's adjustment and the other, I'm not certain what its purpose is for. I have adjusted both, attempting to get higher rpm's. At present, high rpm's is at 2950, and it should be 3600-3800.

I haven't done a static adjustment on the governor shaft yet. I was going to do that tomorrow. I ran out of day light today.
And I'll post a shot tomorrow of the governor plate to give you a better look at what I'm looking at. Will give you the model #'s on this engine, too, I really suck about writing stuff down.

Anybody know about these screws for rpm adjustments?

·
Administrator
21,548 Posts
You should be able to download a repair manual for your machine at the Kohler web site. I'll take a look later and see if you found what you are looking for, and if not, I'll check my .pdf copy of the manual.

Good Luck.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brad, I was going to look for a manual for Kohler, as well. I'm about to go out and take some photo's of it as well. I don't think it is serious problem, just need to b ring my rpm's up so it'll pull the mower deck.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The governor plate is how the rpm speed adjustment is done. Loosen the two bolts and raise the plate towards the flywheel for higher speed and lower it to base of engine for slower speed. the screw in question is the choke plate adjustment and it must be done after the speed is adjusted.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,548 Posts
The manual has a good explanation, with photos. I can't decently copy the text. I can email you the .pdf if you want, it's 5 megs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The manual has a good explanation, with photos. I can't decently copy the text. I can email you the .pdf if you want, it's 5 megs.
HI if possible can you send me a copy of the Kolher CV16 manual as I need to adjact the governor.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Reviving a ten year old thread... why?

Look here, a section you may have overlooked:

Section on engine manuals...

Or

Go to Kohler.com and find your engine manual. I think the single cylinder CV series are all covered in one manual, free to down load.

tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts