My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this Kohler Command 14hp on my lil Simp Regent is running very rich. It starts up fine, but has an occasional miss (probably due to a plug that reads "way too rich") and smells of gasoline around the carb.

I thought being one of these "EPA carbs" they were to run lean and such, but I wonder if there is an internal leak of sorts or if the choke is staying closed for too long.

I'm thinking of just rebuilding the carb (it's cheap enough to get a kit), but if it's something silly like the choke needing adjusted then I may as well look into 'free' fixes, right?
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Easy enough to check the choke operation which I'd do first, if it's way too rich you should be seeing black smoke in the exhaust before it fouls a plug. As always when checking anything out, start with the simplest/easiest things first.

·
Administrator
12,571 Posts
Another idea might be the Needle and seat might be dirty or worn out and letting more fuel into the carb, causing a rich condition. Fuel would leak out the carb and into the engine. Check your oil level in case the gas is leaking into the crankcase.

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil seems kind of dirty (needs a change before too long) but otherwise no apparent contamination. What should I look for in regards to gasoline contamination?

When it's cold for the first couple minutes it's gray smoke, smells a little rich even with the choke off (it's a choke and throttle in one on this engine) then the smoke goes away once it's warmed up.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Could be some gas contamination in the oil for sure, shouldnt smoke at all. make sure ot use 10W30

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
AMCJavelin ... if you want to poke around 'just a little', remove the float bowl, remove the float pin, the float, and the needle. Check out the tip on the needle, and, using any thing you can find to magnify, inspect the seat. I think you will find a very small 'rubber' donut which can degrade over time. That degradation can cause extra fuel to flow, making the mix a bit too rich, without causing overfilling of the float bowl enough to cause leakage.
I replaced the needle and seat from a ~$10-12 carb kit and the fuel consumption seemed to about drop in half. Wonder what the plug looks like...
tom

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been a while since I've posted back, but I tried starting the tractor the other day and the flywheel hit something 'solid'. I got a wrench and turned it over by hand, and with a little pressure it continued to turn over the 'tough' spot.

I hit the key and it fired right up, spitting a fluid (gasoline) out the exhaust, and smoking for a couple minutes as usual. (gray smoke... blue=oil, black=gasoline, gray=coolant... in an air cooled engine?)

I also noticed fuel running down the chassis near the carb. I dare say it's probably said rubber donut. I'll have to tear it down. What on earth does the electronic thing do on the bottom of the bowl? If there's something wrong with said electronic thing, is there a way to bypass it (manual shutoff valve?)?

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
The electronic thing is the anti-diesel solenoid, it helps to prevent backfiring and after-run when a hot engine is shut down.

The grey smoke was a mixture of gas, carbon, and porbably a little oil, being burned out of the muffler, kinda lucky, Ive seen these create brilliant fires and it makes a mess.

Pop the carb off and put in a new needle and seat, should fix it right up, no doubt Kohler will want a fortune for it, but it is what it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts