My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the cam shaft last year in the motor. Originally thought it was bad valves so they were reset and lapped also, and I was told the carb was cleaned. Since the repair the motor starts real hard, I hold the throttle in the choke position and then have to bring it to low and it will kick, after doing that 3-4 times it will catch and I have to bring the throttle up real slow or it will die. No power loss once it is running. If I give it a shot of starter fluid it starts right away. Also it doesn't like to idle down very much. It is either a Nikki or Walbro carb and there isn't much for adjustments on it. The Motor is on a Deere STX38.

·
Administrator
11,804 Posts
Tried a new fuel filter?

Sounds like it is running too lean especially when it is trying to suck a larger amount of fuel with the throttle open.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,428 Posts
It could be a fuel problem--partially clogged carb,gas filter,etc..some other things it could be too..

How sloppy are the throttle shaft bushings?..air can leak in by them and lean the fuel/air ratio enough to cause those kind of troubles..like a vacuum leak..check any gaskets on the carb to intake and intake to block too,for any leakege..you can squirt carb cleaner on the suspect areas while its running,any change in speed indicates a vaccum leak--but even GOOD throttle shaft bushings will let some carb cleaner sneak in,so dont condem them right off..if you can wiggle the shaft around,or see they are egged out,thats a likely source of you problem..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts