My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals. I've got a 07 husquavarna YTH20k46 with the Kohler Courage single cylinder 20 hp. It seems that the solenoid on the float bowl hasn't been working and it makes it almost impossible to start. So i have 2 questions because this is something I've never had to deal with before on previous tractors.

1, the few tractor parts places around here all say that the whole carb has to be replaced because they don't list that solenoid as a separate part. It looks exactly like this one but i don't want to order the wrong part. once i received the bad news from the parts guys i came home and cleaned it up, and got it to start moving and working again. I just don't know how long that will hold up.. So my question, are these usually somewhat interchangeable or will i have to purchase a new carb with this stupid solenoid attached or will the one in the link below work.

http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opee...enoids/carburetor-repair-solenoid-kit-1275733

Question 2, This solenoid is only for anti backfiring correct? in the kohler shop manual and other sources say it's optional. Can it be removed and replaced with a regular bowl bolt or the end snipped off and use as a regular float bowl bolt? I let it idle for a minute or so after mowing and havent had any more issues with backfiring so it's just that starting problem.

I've check the voltage on the power wire and there's a full 12 volts with the key on run.
the ground wire is good.
bench tested it after i free'd it up and it seems to be working now but who knows how long.

Also I've heard that these kohler courage 20hp's are junk but is seems like alot of websites are just full of the bad reviews. Are there any good reviews out there. Mine's got 112 hours on it and i use it for my start-up lawn service (5 lawns each weekend) so i want a mower that's going to go the distance and the mower is awesome, just not sure about the motor...

thank you for your help!
Pete
:thanku:

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Pete,
It is possible to take the plunger out of the solenoid. I had to do that with a Simplicity SunStar with a Ck20 Kohler engine in it. It too had a hard start problem. With no plunger, the hard starting problem ended
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dave!

so just pull the rubber tip off the top? it comes right off.. i just didn't know if it would hurt the engine to remove that. i was told at the repair shop this morning that it's needed. I beg to differ but this is the first mower that i've owned with this solenoid.

I'll try that and see what happens

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
I doubt its the solenoid but its altogether possible.

SOmething more common and likely, look at this picture, see the silver panel where the throttle cable attaches? You should have a choke that is actuated when the thorttle is pushed wide open, so what I want you to do is push the throttle fully open as you would for starting, and note what moves on the top of that silver panel, you should see a tab with a screw on it, that only moves when the choke is actuated. use your fingers and see if you can move that lever any more (towards choke) than it is, you may need to use a screw driver to turn the screw in, so that the throttle lever hits the choke lever more.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
In this picture you can see the throttle lever on the outside, shaped like a quadrant, and the choke lever just protruding out the top, should be a screw down on that top lever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i checked that and even put a auxiliary cable on the choke lever so i could operate it manually. No change in how the mower starts. The reason I'm 99.9% sure it's the solenoid is because i can try starting the engine with no success, pull the solenoid off the bowl and push it in all the way. then re-install it and the engine will start right up. Weird right?

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Are you starting it with the throttle set to low or mid idle, or is it full throttle. Also once started, will it idle properly? And will it run properly at full throttle under a load.....blades on and preferably mowing grass?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you starting it with the throttle set to low or mid idle, or is it full throttle. Also once started, will it idle properly? And will it run properly at full throttle under a load.....blades on and preferably mowing grass?
Yes sir, it doesn't matter where the throttle is set or if i have the aux choke on or not, it's a cold hearted b***h to get started. I live in Florida so i should never have to use the choke (at least i never had to on the other mowers). I idles fine when started, runs like a champ at high idle and with the blades on. basically once it's running it's fine.

Last weekend i was so angry (because starting it killed the battery) that i just left it running for the whole day at idle traveling from lawn to lawn. I thought for sure it would have more issues after that but it's fine.

Yesterday i worked the fuel solenoid back to free movement (it was stuck in one spot) and bench tested it and it seems to be working again. It only hiccuped once when i tried to start it to mow my lawn and i just tapped on the fuel solenoid with a wrench and it started right up.. So I'll give it one last chance to work and if not I'll try pulling the tip off or cutting the rod off and re-installing it. I just wasn't sure that it would hurt anything.

DLF_IN and Kbeitz, you guys have both done this without any issues? I wouldn't think it would be an issue. It's only to help with after use backfiring and as long as i let it idle for a minute on the trailer before i shut it down it doesn't backfire so that's a non issue. Thanks you guys. I'll post some pics later.

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Yep, snip it off. I have done it myself several times with no issues. The shops that said you needed a new cab because the solenoid isn't available separately....well, lets just say I wouldn't be visiting them any time soon. Not only is it available, if you go aftermarket it is pretty cheap compared to OEM. In fact, I think someone has an aftermarket carb complete that is cheaper than the OEM solenoid alone!

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
+3 on snipping it. I had someone ask me to check their no starting kohler. It was a newer unit with new filters etc and it would start on a shot of carb cleaner. I tested solenoid and it would not retract. I told the guy he could either replace the solenoid or snip off the tip. He handed me a pair of snippers. Snipped and put back on it fired right up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, Just wanted to follow up on this subject and thank you all for your help.

as it was last week i had gotten the solenoid working again so decided to see how long that lasted. Well needless to say it only lasted until this past weekend when i headed out to mow 3 lawns. hard to start that morning and so a couple love taps with a screwdriver handle did the trick and she fired right up. Worked all day long like a charm, got home and when to pull it off the trailer and wouldn't ya know. no start again. so i backed it off the trailer and right into the garage and pulled the solenoid off. Just removing the rubber stopper at the top of the solenoid and put it back up under the carb bowl and hooked the wire back up. So far so good. It's started every single time with 1-5 seconds of cranking (that's about average for this mower when the solenoid worked).

Case Closed!

Thanks again guys!
Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts