My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all.

Apprx. 2006 Cub Cadet 1045 with 20Hp Kohler Courage with 197.4 hours. Was running just fine. Shut it off, came back 2 hours later and the thing will bearly run. After apprx. 60 seconds the exhaust/muffler are glowing RED (yes it was dark outside).

This engine has done all the normal Courage single problems. IE; smoke with started cold, back fire when shut off, leak oil out of the valve cover.

There are no cracks in the block. I don't think that I have a counterbalance issue or a lose flywheel.

I have never adjusted the valves (I know shame on me).

Why did the engine develop this problem so quickly?

I would really appreciate any ideas and/or advice.

Thanks-in-advance,
John

·
MTF member
399 Posts
It could be a number of things. Your engine maybe running to lean-carburetor adjustment. I would also check your exhaust valve. It might not be fully closing.

Late ignition timing may cause the muffler to grow red, too.

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
adjust the valves.

the exhaust valve is open during combustion. better do it soon before you ruin the valve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.

I will adjust the valves this weekend.

I will post the results.

Thanks,
John

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
A misfire can cause the flywheel to shear the timing key...did it misfire or anything when shuttinf off or cranking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I apologize to everyone that I did not post sooner.

Well I still cannot get this mower to run correctly.

I adjusted the valves to .004"

Compression at 75PSI.

Engine will barely start/run. Running really rich (can smell in the exhaust), barely will idle, misses while running.

I have not checked the flywheel key yet. I guess I had better to that.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flywheel Key is okay (not sheared).

Stuck a different plug in the engine (B8ES). No change.

Sprayed ether into carb while it was running and the engine almost died. I expected it to rev.

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Sounds like you have some debris stuck between the needle and seat in the carb and its dumping fuel into the engine. Give your carb a good cleaning and check your fuel filter. How does the oil level look/smell?

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks markusedma.

I will remove the carb next. I will post results as soon as I can work on the carb.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cleaned carb last night. Not too dirty. Cleaned all internal parts with spray carb cleaner (although I did not remove them from the carb body). Float and needle valve working correctly.

With the engine running (roughly) disconnected the fuel line from the carb. No change in how the engine ran.

Replaced the fuel filter. No change.

Put a new plug in engine. No change.

Checked valve clearance again. Off by .001" on intake side. (.005" instead of .004"). Backfired while trying to start.

Check compression again. 80PSI and held for over one minute.

What in the world am I missing?!?!?

Thanks,
John

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
Cleaned carb last night. Not too dirty. Cleaned all internal parts with spray carb cleaner (although I did not remove them from the carb body). Float and needle valve working correctly.

With the engine running (roughly) disconnected the fuel line from the carb. No change in how the engine ran.

Replaced the fuel filter. No change.

Put a new plug in engine. No change.

Checked valve clearance again. Off by .001" on intake side. (.005" instead of .004"). Backfired while trying to start.

Check compression again. 80PSI and held for over one minute.

What in the world am I missing?!?!?

Thanks,
John
did you check if the float has any liquid in it? just shake it and see

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ben I appreciate the post.

I did not specifically "shake" the float, but while I cleaned it and reassembled the needle to the float I did not feel any liquid or weird weight. I think it is okay.

Thanks again for the help,
John

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
It still screams...flywheel key, to me...

Did you remove the flywheel and visually inspect the key?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Give that man a CIGAR!!!!!!!!!!!! My hats off and much appreciation to RED-85-Z51. Thank you for your persistence. Sometimes I need a 2" x 4" to the side of the head. It was indeed the flywheel key.

I pulled off the flywheel (like you suggested twice) and low and be hold the key was sheared. The flywheel was rotated approx. 5 - 10 degrees. Just enough to allow the engine to start and run very badly. I suspect that the burning air/fuel mixture went out a partially opened exhaust valve. That is what caused the muffler to glow red.

The mower start right up and I put 1.1 hours on the meter tonight.

RED-85-Z51 you exemplify everything good about this forum.

Gratefully,
John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts