My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No Spark on a older Kohler 14 HP in a JD 314. Any ideas or does someone have a wiring diagram? Looks like this thing has a module. I'm more familiar with Points etc. I know it could be a number of thing like Coil, Condenser etc. but would like to see a diagram if anyone has one,
Thanks

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I checked the wire right off the bat as I have had broken wires in the past. There is a Three prong module or something on the right hand side of the flywheel cover. Than there is a car type coil and condenser siting on top of the motor to the front
Yes the picture of the Mule was to large I down sized it but it didn't help a lot

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
It has points, what you are calling a module is the diode/rectifier/regulator. Points are in a cover on the carb side of the motor. Best bet would be to just replace the points but they can be filed clean and regapped, 20".

·
Administrator
21,249 Posts
I have a Kohler 12.5 vertical in a JD STX38. I was having engine problems with it a few months ago. Would quit running, acted like a fuel issue, but I tested for spark and there was none at times, slight at other times. I ended up ordering a coil for about $30, hoping that was the problem. Fixed it right up!

Did this happen all of a sudden, or gradually start acting up? Wonder if you took the coil off and baked it for about an hour in the oven at 200 deg. would help. Especially if the mower was in a damp environment or left out overnight in a heavy dew.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Thanks for the tip on the points. I'll sure check it out in the morning. What ever I come up with I will post what I find, Thank again!!!:trink39:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brad , the mower was running. It has been acting up a bit lately missing and back firring. I'll bet it's the points. I was looking down in the flywheel cover and couldn't see where the points could be and that's major surgery to get that cover off with the drive line out that end and the clutch out the outer. I was thinking the thing was way to old to have a Module but didn't know what else to come up with

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I'm not real familar with the early JD's, but MF and Cub's all used the ole Kohler K's. My MF's have the frt PTO clutch on the crankshaft side and the hydro/rear PTO drive from the flywheel side. If you were thinking you had to take that flywheel cover off, no wonder you where hesitateing. There's two straight blade screws that hold the cover on, the points wire goes through the cover in a rubber grommett that slides into the cover. Make sure the grommett and wire are in good condition, if that touchs ground the motor shuts off. Replace the condenser too, mine are mounted right on the coil bracket itself, think yours is the same.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I don't know what happen I post a note earlier today and it's gone?? Anyway what I ended up finding was a broken wire on the condenser. Points were also bad If you have a JD 314 and are going to change points be ready to drill a 1/2" hole in line with the bottom cover screw as you can't see it let alone get a driver on it. Replaced Points and condenser and had spark but real weak. Had a old coil under the bench so tried that and now have a good spark. I've heard it run better, may have to re-adjust the points. That job is a bear also as you can't get to the screw that holds the setting. need a angle driver. I have one but they just don't work the best.
Hey thanks again to all that replied to my post:thanku:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Darn, my Masseys are a straight shot to the points, sounds like JD tried to make it a challenge. If the condenser wire was broke, you can bet the points are bad. The coil is a Delco Remey, GM used it for years.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep the bottom screw on that cover was a good 1/2" below the top edge of the frame that is 1/4 in steel and the motor is only about an inch from the frame. So, no much wiggle room. I couldn't see or even get a finger in there to feel it. But I knew it was there so drilled a 1/4 inch hole and then enlarged to 1/2 inch. Broke the screw loose with a screw driver and then use a screw starter to remove it so I wouldn't drop it. Same going back on , starter then driver.
As I said the adjustment screw is another pickle as it face toward the front of the tractor and only about 11/4 inches clearance in front of it. So, you can't even get a stubby driver on it. With a 90* angle driver you can get on it but it's a Phillips head screw and hard to get pressure on it to really get it tight. I should have changed the screw as I hate Phillips. With the point it is natural for them to push out as you turn them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts