My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of these hitch pins last fall at Lowe's. I needed a pin but thought that six and seven dollars was a bit much for just a standard pin.

Then i saw this pin:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_290025-60858-150_0_?productId=3030684&Ntt=hitch%20pin&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=hitch%20pin$y=0$x=0

So far, it is the best nine dollars that I have spent on my machine for anything besides an oil filter.

Hitching and unhitching the trailer takes just a few seconds instead of many seconds to pull and put back the standard hairpin and it stays in place very well.

The pin also seems to be pretty strong too. Of course, I don't have any loads in my trailer any greater than two or three hundred pounds.

All in all, the pin works great and is not a lot more money than a standard pin.

I give it two thumbs up. :fing32:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I love mine too. I wouldnt go back to the other style.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I bought mine and then bought the load n go utility tray. It doesn't fit easily with the tray on! D'oh! It is pretty well made though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love mine! Actually had a failure, but was able to fix it with a little patience. But it has worked flawlessly since. I got my dad, 76 now, one for Christmas and he likes it too. Very easy for an older man losing his youthful dexterity with his hands to hook up the spreader to his tractor.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
That looks like a good way to go.......I'm still using the same 3/8 inch bolt from 1992.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
On a lark I got one a while back from Sportsman's Guide. When I looked at it I began to think about it:

It's hollow, not a solid ½" pin. Running rough ground with the trailer slapping around on the hitch fully loaded w/dirt... I don't know about the strength.

It sticks down a long way below the tractor hitch platform... I'd want a rubber O-ring to hold it up a ways on the tongue of the trailer.

I still would have to get off to hitch up and off with a load.

I found when I looked it over that I really don't mind getting off and on or the solid drilled pin and spring retainer at all... Heck, I'm only 70 and still agile as a cat!:D

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
On a lark I got one a while back from Sportsman's Guide. When I looked at it I began to think about it:

It's hollow, not a solid ½" pin. Running rough ground with the trailer slapping around on the hitch fully loaded w/dirt... I don't know about the strength.

It sticks down a long way below the tractor hitch platform... I'd want a rubber O-ring to hold it up a ways on the tongue of the trailer.

I still would have to get off to hitch up and off with a load.

I found when I looked it over that I really don't mind getting off and on or the solid drilled pin and spring retainer at all... Heck, I'm only 70 and still agile as a cat!:D
Agile as a cat:ROF :ROF I hope if I make it to 70 I'm that agile also. Then you've lived a good life. slkpk

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Heck, I'm only 70 and still agile as a cat!:D
I feel like Rodney Dangerfield said "Heck, if I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself".

As for the pin, it wouldn't work for me cuz I mounted a ball hitch above the existing clevis hitch so there is no room for the big D handle. Even the standard pin, I don't put in from the top. I shove the pin up from the bottom so that the hairpin keeper is on top. Beats trying to put in the hairpin by feel.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
looks cool, i see it has "butterflys" that pop out to use as a hair pin, my ????? is how to they "retract" so you can pull it out with just one hand

and to think i just got a regular one thats vinyl coated for $7 :banghead3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts