My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 60 inch King Kutter finish mower that I cannot keep a belt on. The problem started last week. After 3 hrs of mowing the belt broke followed by three more. Any suggestions as to the cause?
Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Tom! Could be a lot of things. I've seen pulley and spindle bearings seize when they get hot, which is detrimental to the belt that is driving them. I've seen belts break when the blades hit things they shouldn't, throwing the belt onto the sharp edge of the pulley. I've also seen belts installed with improper tension or improperly sized belts installed, both resulting in sliced up belts. Grass buildup can also lead to that.

Another possibility is that nothing is wrong with the finish mower and all the belts installed were aged, but that is highly unlikely.

Lots of speculation can be made. Best thing in the world to do is to check the integrity of all the bearings, inspect belt tension, make sure grass doesn't build up, and make sure you're only mowing grass with your mower.

I hope this has been helpful!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I replaced 3 questionable idlers and tightened them firmly. with a new belt in place it's doing well in very light grass but I'll see how it does in the deeper grass.
Thanks for the reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts