My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to sons house yesterday and told him I didnt want both Gravelys sitting behind the house covered-up with a tarp and one of them I want to take here so incase something happens we will always have a decent one to use so I said " lets get it on the truck and haul it to the house" and we did.
He knew the deal a long time ago and that was I didnt put all the time and money in two of them for him to take both of them and he can have one of them and thats it lol. If the L-8 breaks down he can use the pull start one till it gets fixed but one of them stays here, dont care wich one but one must, I gotta have something to play with anyway, hardly anywhere to shoot guns anymore unless I wanna drive 30 mins to and 30 back then drag em all inside so neighbors dont see them and clean them, too much hassle anymore, if you cant shoot off the porch or out a window like we used to it just aint the same thing and shouldnt be a days work.
Got sum pix kinda need some advice on what to do with/about this frazzlin hood that is a mess on bottom corner but prolly 85% Ive ever seen are as well, but the left side is all folded up ( as in pix ) and Im sure I dont have the right washers on it but it was a few yrs ago when I stripped/sanded/primed n painted it back when I was a real Green bean worse than now as Ive picked up a few things from folks on here mostly.
But the inside corner thats folded gets hung up on the on / off bar that operates the PTO or on/off blade switch.
That deck is about jacked as well, gonna take my impact driver and see if I can drill sum holes in it first then bolt a front and rear guard on it dont know what else to do and if that dont work I'll have to make a trip to Spencer W.Va. to Richards and get one i guess. I wish I would have learned how to weld tho.
Oh yea I stopped at the quarter wash on way home and knocked about ten pounds of dirt off of it. Just a quick spray on rinse cycle didnt even open hood on it.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have another hood but will have to strip it down to bare metal like I did to that one, bunch of work.

Attachments

Daryl G
Mark,
I am glad to see that your interest in Gravely's has not waned... even though your wallet has suffered greatly during this journey!!! I think that is is wise course of action that you chose. How did your son like using that machine? Regarding the hood stripping - I used the earlier-style oven cleaner and it worked wonders at removing decades-old paint (just be careful and use protective gear as the lye-based cleaner is NASTY). Do you have access to a pressure washer? I hope that you are doing well health wise!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark,
I am glad to see that your interest in Gravely's has not waned... even though your wallet has suffered greatly during this journey!!! I think that is is wise course of action that you chose. How did your son like using that machine? Regarding the hood stripping - I used the earlier-style oven cleaner and it worked wonders at removing decades-old paint (just be careful and use protective gear as the lye-based cleaner is NASTY). Do you have access to a pressure washer? I hope that you are doing well health wise!
Hey fireant hope y'all are doing well as well. He loves Gravelys now to, his ole lady said he mowed his yard n property every other day lol. He got the remote shifter working and he'd never seen one before! As far as stripping goes I worked at Parks Corp . for 10 yrs and we made that stripper and it is very dangerous indeed. The powerfull stuff we made used Methaliene Chloride and if you was to get a whiff of that in it's purist form you're dead before hitting the ground our chemist said . Our plant had a one mile blast radius as we made hydrochloric acid, lacquer thinner, MEK, Tyloul you name it. Take care buddy good hearing from you

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey fireant hope y'all are doing well as well. He loves Gravelys now to, his ole lady said he mowed his yard n property every other day lol. He got the remote shifter working and he'd never seen one before! As far as stripping goes I worked at Parks Corp . for 10 yrs and we made that stripper and it is very dangerous indeed. The powerfull stuff we made used Methaliene Chloride and if you was to get a whiff of that in it's purist form you're dead before hitting the ground our chemist said . Our plant had a one mile blast radius as we made hydrochloric acid, lacquer thinner, MEK, Tyloul you name it. Take care buddy good hearing from you
PS- could be what happened to my liver

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gonna try to show my newest project and that is trying to get some guards on that half homemade sides of that old deck. Gonna ( and did ) bolt the center of deck/guard on to mark where my holes need to be drilled with my impact driver and maybe a bit-tip ( self starter ) screw.
I got that thing tilted up with a fork truck rim and tire that weighs about 50 lbs I think but Im back far nuff and have stuff under it incase a zip tie decides to snap and rake the skin off my legs.
If it works fine and if it dont fine it aint war & peace to me either way, something to do w/the Gravely ya know?
Im the shade tree king and a hecka thumb buster lol.
I dont think I displayed on here last night my " have to be a master engineer " pull start tool, a very complicated thing.lol!
It keeps it in place when pulling the strap fugly as it might be lol!
Try to do the holes tomorrow maybe, got to cold out there had to bug out. Ive only got an hr. or so in me anymore.
But I would love to see this work, save money getting another deck.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts