My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6' finish mower 540 PTO that can be pulled with 15 PTO house power. Yea I have the big tractor to pull it but it chews up the yard too much. Recently I acquired a vertical shaft 25HP 3600 rpm gas motor in a mower that is beyond economical repair. However the motor is almost pristine. Changed out in the past few months and I have done all the PM on the motor.

I have half a notion to remove the 1 to 1 540 gear box and figure out the correct pulley sizes to drive the deck with the gas motor. Whn Icouple it to my Case 446 with a rear PTO and associated hydraulic cylinders and draw bar My though is that I could cut a 10' swath in one pass 4' with the tractor and 6 with the deck. The deck has 4 pneumatic wheels (casters if you will) at each corner. By using the draw bar with cylinders I could (I think) make the mower trail or run to either side. I have access to most of the hydraulics I would need as we farm some still and have stuff stashed.

Is this a sound idea or am I just smoking wacky weed?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm watchin' the responses as I have a similar idea. I have a 72" deck from an older front mount mower. It has two casters, so I could add two more and an engine and have a BIG trail mower.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts