My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When a Lawn tractor has no deck is it no longer a mower? If so it would have no mandated mower kill switches required, such as reverse lockout, neutral or engagement.

The reason I ask is because threads are being removed by over zealous mods that don't understand what safety switches are for.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
cleatus, here it is :

House Rules Guys.#5
5. No Illegal Suggestions Please no pointers, how-to’s, advocating, etc of any illegal activity. (example: By-passing Safety Switches)

Whether a tractor is being used as a yard puller or what ever, we can not, and will not permit this type of discussion to go here. It has been that day since day 1, and is not going to change. Sorry you think we are "over zealous" in enforcing this, but you and I and every member here agreed to the "house rules" when we became members of this site, and nothing has changed.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Jim, I was wrong to say neutral but the others are not required on a tractor. I am not suggesting that this small tractor is to be used as a mower as then that would be an ILLEGAL activity.

This has been discussed many times from 2005 to date and has not been deleted. The only difference I can see is I used common terms instead of using my understanding of the English language to hide the fact that bypassing was to be done instead of testing.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Isn't it interesting that many years ago before our Mother Government took away our rights to be "just plain folk", we never ever encountered anybody who was clamoring to find out how to add stuff like "kill switches" and the cursed "R.I.O. System" to their mowers?

Just EXACTLY WHO thought they could make a billion dollars off this ***t. Just exactly why did it overrun the OPE industry with nary a whimper from the straight thinking crowd? Yeah, just as I thought... It was the brother's keeper mentality instead of the common sense people. So now RIOS is "common sense" and not "optional" because of the reduced IQ of the buying public. Thanks America, and "Baaaaaaaaaa, baaaaaa, baaaaaa, I'm a little lost sheep that's lost my way", and I'm **** wiffen poofed off at what's become of us.:D

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Jim, I was wrong to say neutral but the others are not required on a tractor. I am not suggesting that this small tractor is to be used as a mower as then that would be an ILLEGAL activity.

This has been discussed many times from 2005 to date and has not been deleted. The only difference I can see it I used common terms instead of using my understanding of the English language to hide the fact that bypassing was to be done instead of testing.
Soooooo, whats that mean Keith ? that you're not mad at me anymore ? :).

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just think the removal was to quick when you were the only one to mention safety switches. I also thought it would have been a good way for some of the new members to be taught how to understand just what they agreed to when they clicked OK, as a lot don't read all terms.

P.S. Jim, I don't own any whips so your OK for now.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Hmmm, but here's the problem in leaving those kind of threads, you see the "pointers of how to" are still exposed and by leaving them out in public view only gives others the same "pointers" of what needs to be done if they want to by pass these switches, so in essence we are not stopping the problem or enforcing the rules leaving this kind of thread in the open.

Oh and we did get complaints, which brought it to our attention.

And I'm glad you don't got any whips right now :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Those "Ralph Nader" switches can often be compared to hemorrhoids when trying to get old iron running. I like to never found out why my MF20 Industrial wouldn't crank after doing some work on it. A tiny spring clip that holds a wire in place flew away and it wasn't making good contact. Tried and tried to find one of those little clips to hold the bullet connection but could not. Finally got the wife to do a little mowing. She kept leaving one place untouched. I figured out why and showed her where to switch the ignition so she could back into that spot while mowing. I too hate the idea that Big Brother is so much smarter than I. On the subject of disconnecting said switches, has anyone ever removed the tag from a mattress or pillow? Big Brother is watching!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't see what the problem is with the switch. The reverse switch doesn't do anything unless the mower is engaged does it? If you don't have a mower what would the problem be?
I don't have anything that has these switches other than the Kubota which just has the engagement and neutral/clutch switch so I guess I am just asking

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Any discussion and "How To's" in regards to Safety Switches will be removed by the Moderating Staff.

It does not matter what the intended use of the tractor will be as it can be applied to all.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
More than likely there was a lawsuit involved and the manufacturer said "we can't keep stupid people from doing stupid things, so even though it may be an incovenience to the user to add a switch under the seat that kills the mower when you get off the tractor or does not allow the tractor to start when the attachment clutch is engaged, but we will save injuries and possibly deaths"

IMO

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I like the informal rule not to allow threads on disabling safety switches.
I think it shows respect for each others' well-being rather than being overly restrictive forum rules

I have an older tractor that I wish had more safety lockouts.
I have a newer tractor that I think has too many safety lockouts.

I change my machinery to suit me, as you do. That's my own fool business and I accept the responsibility for me.

I would feel terrible if I told you how to remove a safety, then learn you or the person you gave it to got caught up in the rototiller.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Isn't it interesting that many years ago before our Mother Government took away our rights to be "just plain folk", we never ever encountered anybody who was clamoring to find out how to add stuff like "kill switches" and the cursed "R.I.O. System" to their mowers?

Just EXACTLY WHO thought they could make a billion dollars off this ***t. Just exactly why did it overrun the OPE industry with nary a whimper from the straight thinking crowd? Yeah, just as I thought... It was the brother's keeper mentality instead of the common sense people. So now RIOS is "common sense" and not "optional" because of the reduced IQ of the buying public. Thanks America, and "Baaaaaaaaaa, baaaaaa, baaaaaa, I'm a little lost sheep that's lost my way", and I'm **** wiffen poofed off at what's become of us.:D
I don't think the kill switch is a law I think it is a way to keep these companys away from law suits

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I don't think the kill switch is a law I think it is a way to keep these companys away from law suits
It's may not be a "law" but it is a government "mandate" which has exactly the same outcome for those that deny it's existance in manufacturing. California has the strictest "safety/health mandates" in the country and we all can see how it's going with that.

I agree with some of the safety controls, like the "Seat Occupancy Switch" (S.O.S) which kills the engine in the event of a sucessful roll over stunt. But the JD RIOS is just plain silly because the operator IS IN the seat or he can't even mow in a forward direction. If someone mows over "Fluffy" when backing then they'll dang sure do it going forward just as well.

How does this forum rule play out in the event of a "disarming" request via Private Messages? Can you be sold out to the party for dispensing this information by the receipient if he mows down his pet turtle?

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
It's may not be a "law" but it is a government "mandate" which has exactly the same outcome for those that deny it's existance in manufacturing. California has the strictest "safety/health mandates" in the country and we all can see how it's going with that.

I agree with some of the safety controls, like the "Seat Occupancy Switch" (S.O.S) which kills the engine in the event of a sucessful roll over stunt. But the JD RIOS is just plain silly because the operator IS IN the seat or he can't even mow in a forward direction. If someone mows over "Fluffy" when backing then they'll dang sure do it going forward just as well.

How does this forum rule play out in the event of a "disarming" request via Private Messages? Can you be sold out to the party for dispensing this information by the receipient if he mows down his pet turtle?
You can murder your your neighbor via "Private Message" HH .. Just please dont share the details in the open Forum :thanku::D:D

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wasn't mad about this exactly, but the semantics. If one wants to perform these acts, all the needed info is searchable on this forum if you just use the right words. I would not doubt that the complainers had been caught trying to explain how to do this before and didn't want someone else to get away with it ether.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I guess I look at it this way, If you don't know enough about your machine to bypass the pita switches, you probable shouldn't have them non functioning anyway!!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I guess I look at it this way, If you don't know enough about your machine to bypass the pita switches, you probable shouldn't have them non functioning anyway!!
:ditto: For all we know Mr Magoo might be the one asking, and we know how he drives. :biglaugh:

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Fact and Question , I have a JD,355D with all the switches, I also have a JD 2210 with out the back up switch. I have wondered why is one under the rules and laws but the other came out of the factory with out a reverse switch?
Something I have thought about but not ask for opinions.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Fact and Question , I have a JD,355D with all the switches, I also have a JD 2210 with out the back up switch. I have wondered why is one under the rules and laws but the other came out of the factory with out a reverse switch?
Something I have thought about but not ask for opinions.

I have wondered this myself ..I think it has something to do with the year it was made and where it was made

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.