My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone look at the back of the keyed ignition and tell me where the wires go? If I look head on to the back of my ignition there is a plug on the back of it and there is a single prong on top and 2 prongs side by side below like this..

______ where does this wire go?

where does this wire go ______ ______ where does this wire go

thanks

·
Subsurface dweller
194 Posts
If the switch is mounted as designed (and not replaced or "dis-oriented" in the hole...

There should be a solo lug at bottom and it is arranged horizontally. This is the battery lug or "juice" supply. This should receive (depending upon year) a yellow wire that comes from the L lug on generator/starter controller. This supplies power to the switch and is "hot" at all times.

The remaining two lugs form a roof top as they are canted off horizontal approximately 45*. As viewed from the lug side, the one on your RIGHT should have a red wire and supplies power to the ignition coil when switch in ON or START position.
The lug to your LEFT should have a black wire and this feeds power to the starter relay when switch held in the momentary START position.

Isolate switch, put a multimeter with one lead on the horizontal lug, turn switch one and check for continuity to one of the other lugs. The one that has continuity is for the ignition coil. The remaining one must be for the relay.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, My ignition must be in upside down, as you can see from this picture. disregard the 2 wires I jumped together. I was doing that in an attemt to get it running

My confusion comes from that blue wire that seems to go to nowhere, as I peeled back the wire harness cover it appeared and wasn't contected to anything but comes from the little "nub" on the right side of the starter solonoid as you can see here

1 - 3 of 3 Posts