My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm next. Here's Kermit. I did this frankenmower back in 2006. Here's the story from my webpage about him:

I found this lawn mower in the neighborhood on a walk with the family one night. It was obviously left for dead. It was on an un-mowed empty lot. One of the front wheel adjusters was jammed, making the whole unit set uneven. The intake pipe was loose on the cylinder head; the engine couldn't have run. The self-propelled cable was so out of adjustment that it WASN'T...self-propelled. And to take it all: the blade was sharpened on the TRAILING edge of the blade. This mower couldn't have cut through butter, let alone a lawn of grass.

The 10330 came with a Tecumseh LEV100 4-stroke engine, of 4.5 hp. It sort of ran after I fixed many of the issues above. It was real lean, though. It ran VERY HOT, and tried to overspeed. I only let it run for about 30 seconds before turning it off. No bother, I had better plans for this mower.

I bought my Sears Craftsman mower mostly for the Honda GCV160 engine it had. I knew the deck was only mediocre quality, but I wanted to try the Honda engine. It's really a super engine, but since my Honda HR215SXA has such an excellent deck with a great commercial engine, I just didn't use the Craftsman much. That engine would turn out to fit GREAT on this 10330.

I had initially thought about painting the Lawn-Boy a "gunmetal" grey, like the Craftsman. Sears calls it "Storm Grey". It's a pretty combination, with the silver aluminum of the engine and red/maroon engine shroud/fuel tank. But after cleaning up this L-B, the bright green is SO lustrous, and in such good shape under the dirt and grime that was on there, I couldn't stand to change the color.

I had the Tecumseh off and on the workbench. The next step is to remove the GCV160 off the Craftsman and further check the lower dimensions (length of crankshaft and location/size of the drive pulley). The mounting bolt pattern is the same between the Honda and Tecumseh engine.

Comparing the engines side by side, they look close enough in dimension to be virtually interchangeable.

The Honda's crankshaft is a bit shorter, but the Craftsman blade adaptor adds an inch or so of length, so the actual "hanging depth" of the two blades is essentially identical. The Honda's drive pulley uses a slightly thinner belt than the Lawn-Boy, but it works just fine with the Lawn-Boy belt...it just rides a little higher in the sheave.

Here are some initial photos of the Honda engine test-fit on the 10330 deck.

I think by sheer dumb luck, the flywheel brake cable from the Lawn-Boy is a PERFECT fit for the Honda engine. I was prepared to swap cables between the two mowers, but this one works just fine.

The photograph above is standing in front of the deck, with the rear wheels at the top of the picture. The Honda engine uses the same three bolt holes as the Tecumseh did on the 10330 deck. The Honda block actually has a 4th mounting hole, but it was not used on the Craftsman mower. It is in the same general location as the hole in the 4:00 position on the 10330 deck as photographed above, but does not line up directly.

Because some aluminum thread material was lost from the Honda block when I removed the three mounting bolts, I went ahead and purchased (3) 5/16-18 x 2" cap bolts with locking washers and nuts to mount the Honda block to the L-B deck. The Honda and Tecumseh both used the same length/thread mounting bolt (3/8x16 x 1"). The 5/16" bolts are just thin enough to clear the threads in the engine block to use as thru-bolts.

After double-checking all the bolts and connections, I tried the engine. She lit up the first time and MAN does it run smooth and quiet on this deck! Over half of the noise from the Craftsman mower was from the deck/blade. This Honda purrs quiet on this L-B deck.

Here are pictures after our first run over the back yard.

Reactions: 1652

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Nice....I put a side discharge on mine but may try and fit a mulch plate. As you know I have to pull the motor mounts to put the plate in.

I was wondering if a bag chute would fit?

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if a bag chute will fit, but you shouldn't have to pull the motor mounts to fit the mulch plate (I don't). Once you have the plate loose from the deck, lift up on the back of the plate and SLIDE it rearward as you lift up. The plate should lift up just enough to let the hanging "wall" of the mulch plate slide out of the deck, while the top of the mulch plate just barely slides against the bottom of the muffler heat shield of the engine.

If yours is so close that it won't fit, you might consider adding a washer or two between the engine mount and the deck. I didn't have to, and I'd be surprised if your deck is really any different in this area. If you look at the photos of my engine on the deck, you can see some clearance between the bottom of the engine mount and the deck. The engine mount has some mount "pads" cast in, to make it set up just slightly, and the deck itself is raised just ever slightly at the mount holes.

Is yours the same way?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I don't know if a bag chute will fit, but you shouldn't have to pull the motor mounts to fit the mulch plate (I don't). Once you have the plate loose from the deck, lift up on the back of the plate and SLIDE it rearward as you lift up. The plate should lift up just enough to let the hanging "wall" of the mulch plate slide out of the deck, while the top of the mulch plate just barely slides against the bottom of the muffler heat shield of the engine.

If yours is so close that it won't fit, you might consider adding a washer or two between the engine mount and the deck. I didn't have to, and I'd be surprised if your deck is really any different in this area. If you look at the photos of my engine on the deck, you can see some clearance between the bottom of the engine mount and the deck. The engine mount has some mount "pads" cast in, to make it set up just slightly, and the deck itself is raised just ever slightly at the mount holes.

Is yours the same way?
Yes mine is the same. I may try to fit the bag/chute-see hwo close it is to fitting.

·
2 stroke addict
1,102 Posts
being the new owner of the Lawnda, I will say, that a mulch plate is pretty easy to get on, have not tried a bag chute though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I got a 10330 as well and the Tecumseh is shot. I am thinking very seriously about doing this as it belonged to my grandpa and has personal value to me since it was the first Lawn-Boy I used. Is this particular honda engine still avalible and what kind of blade adapter do I need?

Thanks
Banjoman

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a 10330 as well and the Tecumseh is shot. I am thinking very seriously about doing this as it belonged to my grandpa and has personal value to me since it was the first Lawn-Boy I used. Is this particular honda engine still avalible and what kind of blade adapter do I need?
Banjoman, you may have already moved on with this project, but yes, the Honda GCV-160 is a very common engine, and you should be able to find them new and on many popular consumer grade mowers. Mine came from a Craftsman, and I used the Craftsman blade adapter and use blades that fit at least Craftsman mowers, though they're usually universal. Lawn-Boy did use Honda engines on some of their newer mowers. Here's an example of a commercial Honda GSV-190 on a 22270:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lawnboy-Com...257?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7d4e1d01

I don't know if the newer Hondas like on that 22270 used a Lawn-Boy blade adapter so they could use Lawn-Boy blades, or if they used a more universal style blade.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Very nice swap Jason. That motor is really powerful, but the one I have the air filter has to be perfectly clean to run. Still a beast of a motor.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only thing I wish were different is with the bag chute installed, the outlet of the muffler points straight at the side of the plastic bag chute, and it gets HOT. I can unbolt the muffler and rotate it 180 degrees so that the outlet is at the front instead of at the rear. It's better, but the bag chute still gets very hot around that muffler.

I hope to get my 10301 running this spring and, if I decide to keep it, I will use it as a staggered-wheel bagger. Kermit works best as a mulcher only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts