My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Kemp chipper/shredder K6CH, was originally electric start but changed engines, no longer electric start. The original belt, which lasted for years, broke and I'm having trouble with replacements. Tractor Supply 5/8" X 69" Kevlar belt seems to fit but I'll run the machine for just a few sessions and it will break. OK maybe I'm stupid but I've gone through 3 of these belts now. So I thought, maybe it's not the right size, maybe need a better belt? My original operating manual does not specify a size. It's tightened to where the engine bolts are mid-slot, so not a lot of leeway. I've had this machine since 1992 and it has been great. Last summer, a couple of the hammers were cracked so I had the whole thing taken apart with the help of a friend, took the drum assembly to a welder who fixed it; cleaned/repainted the body, got my friend to help me reassemble and all seems good except for the belt. And it is not the easiest thing for me and my partner to replace and get tension correct not to mention $20 + tax for each belt.
I've even considered forgetting about it and buying a new DR machine but seems like a waste just for a belt problem. So resorted to joining and posting on this forum hoping someone can help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you fixed it or are you still having trouble?
NicoR no I haven't fixed it. I don't know what's wrong and don't feel I have the expertise to figure it out. And with this virus pandemic, I don't want to try to find someone to come out and look at it right now so I've put it on the back burner.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Im in Missouri so I dont think Id be able to come out and look at it lol. How tight did you have the belt and how much were you trying to put through the hopper?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, Missouri is a little far! We have the belt as tight as we could get it, a little play but not much. I've had this shredder since new, way back in early 90's but it had a couple bent and broken teeth so the whole machine was taken apart, the drum taken to a welder who repaired the teeth; had a friend help me take it apart and put back together: everything seems to run good then pop! Belt breaks. I was trying to baby it and not put sticks in the shredder that normally it could handle with no problem and chipping even small sticks 1/4" diameter. Not overloading the hopper. The belt tightens by moving the bolts holding the engine down. There is no side to side adjustment possible, only back and forth and I'm wondering if the pulleys are not aligned but don't know how that could be.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The side to side adjustment would be moving the pullies on the shafts. Look down the belt to see if its straight. Does it shake since the repairs? Is the motor walking while its running and over tightening the belt?

·
Craftsman GT fan
4 Posts
Many of the newer model Kemp chippers had a friction clutch as standard equipment. It allowed you to get a little pull on the recoil before it engaged. The do wear out and or will lockup on the shaft if not lubed. If the friction clutch was replaced with just a standard pulley, you might need to align the pulleys. A yard stick is the easiest way. The pulleys should both be flat against the side edge of the yard stick. Kevlar belts are not always the best replacement because they will not absorb the shock that occurs when you throw product down the chute. The standard old rubber belt (same length) usually cheaper will stretch and snap back without breaking. When you get the chipper running the belt should run in a straight line and not jump around. Too loose will allow it to flap up and down, too tight shortens belt life and bearing life on the chipper rotor. The chipper rotor should roll free when the belt is off the pulley. It should roll with just a couple of fingers to move it. There should be a grease fitting to lube the bearing and the housing. If it is noisey or still hard to move after greasing then replacing the bearings is necessary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a belt driven Kemp shredder as well, so I am curious if / when / how @Desertlady ever gets / got the breaking belt situation resolved, and am appreciative of @Ron T. 's advice.

My unit runs double belts, without any spring loaded belt tensioning idler in between the motor sheave and the drum sheave. And with roughly 2 feet of distance between the sheaves, my belts dance quite a bit up and down with the machine running. I have thought to add a spring loaded belt tensioning idler pulley, such as what I've seen on some Mighty Mac shredders, and that is similar in concept to the engagement wheel on the Bearcat chipper/shredder, in order to apply more of the engine's drive energy to the task, and reduce the belt dancing.

Tightening the belt requires sliding the engine away from the hopper, and holding it there while retighting the bolts. The belt wants to make the engine go crooked while retightening, so I think I use a small bottle jack against the belt side of the engine to counteract the belt's pull until I can get the engine bolts torqued.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a pto attachment chipper kemp t6ch. The belt broke and i can't find a replacement. Please help i have 5 acres of brush to chip

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Take the broken belt to a shop that sells belts, and find one that's the same length and width.

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Then use a rope to measure. It'll get you in the ballpark, might need to try a couple of times (as in buy belt, try it, then get one an inch longer, repeat), but you'll get working again quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Then use a rope to measure. It'll get you in the ballpark, might need to try a couple of times (as in buy belt, try it, then get one an inch longer, repeat), but you'll get working again quickly.
Great idea thanks for your help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts