My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to use or do to help keep the mesquetoses away when outside in the evening. We have tried bug spray and it doesn't seem to help much? We were also sitting around a camp fire and they still seemed to come around and bug us enough to were we said the heck with it and went inside. What works good at keeping them away.

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Use something that smokes alot (my mom) like incense sticks, they also make ones specifically for bugs...

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If you have the space, build or buy a bat house. I have had 2-3 bats that live on my property since 1993. I can't remember my last mosquito bite.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Guess I am lucky that I live in the boonies, house backs to the woods and I don't have a problem with them. We sit in the back and never have a problem. When I am fishing I use a ThermaCELL. Doesn't really help much if there is a good wind, but back in the cuts on the river it works great. They have a few Lanterns but I have never used them before. They say........

ThermaCELL uses revolutionary, patented technology to dispense a small amount of repellent into the air over a long period of time. ThermaCELL is powered by a butane cartridge which provides the cordless, portable heat necessary to operate the device (batteries are not needed). It directs the heat to a metal grill. A mat saturated with Allethrin, a copy of a naturally occurring insecticide found in chrysanthemum flowers, is placed on top of the metal grill. The heat generated by the butane cartridge vaporizes the repellent allowing it to rise into the air, creating a 15 x 15 ft (225 sq ft) “Mosquito-Free-Zone” in minutes. The repellent is very unpleasant to mosquitoes, but when used as directed, will not harm humans or pets.

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
repellant with DEET, that is the only thing that really works. if you can handle smoke, build a fire and toss on green wood periodically, then sit just down wind of it. you want to be far enough that you don't choke, but near enough to be fully encapsulated by the smoke.

or move down here for a few years. then when you move back elsewhere you won't even notice the skeeters. folks complain about getting a dozen bites in an hour outside, around here you get several dozen bites in minutes. they literally look like a black cloud coming at you.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wow I am glad I don't live in the part of MS that you do! :)

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
How about a screen house ??...:D

Here,we have to be wary of skeeters,as they carry the EEE virus and west nile virus,the eee virus has already been detected in many neighboring towns,earlist they have ever been found,and plans to spray them airially are being discussed..more than a few deaths have been caused by those diseases--a 7 month old horse had to be put down about 5 miles away after it was diagnosed with the EEE virus..schools are not holding outdoor activities after 7:30 pm and may be banned all together as the risk increases..they are telling everyone to stay inside,wear repellant,etc..(like being cooped up inside all winter aint bad enough,now we cant enjoy the summer too?)..

I bought an electric bug zapper with a black light to use in my garage,and though it works well,I have not really seen many misquitoes,it was a flood this spring with record rainfalls and severe floods,then it got hot and dry for at least a month,so I guess that reduced the amount of them..I dont think I'd use the bug-zapper outside,as it seems to attract more bugs to it!..we have several bats flying around at dusk every night so maybe they are helping to reduce them also..

I wear a repellant if I go in the woods,not so much for misquitoes as deer and horse flies,which are GIANT size this year,and sound like airplanes when they fly around you,and have painful bites..when they are going to hold an outdoor event here,they usually spray the fields and woods with some insecticide..
I noticed I wasn't bothered by bugs while mowing with my Suburban,it smokes just enough to "fog" any that come too close!..

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
Deepsouth, yeah come spend a little time in Greenville and you will see. i'm actually seriously considering one of those mister systems to help control them around the house. but being surrounded by fields they are always gonna be bad. i sprayed malathion and liquid sevin around the house back in April, they still were bad within 2 hours after dark.

·
MT IDA
246 Posts
Buy a flock of turkeys and then just sit back and watch the Arkansas mesqutos have sex with them, they won't bother you then :thThumbsU

·
Registered
609 Posts
Davidg, I am gona take a dot on that. Closest I have been is Yazoo city dropping off FEMA trailers, or the town/city West, not sure which is closer. If there are any good lakes around there I will make a visit sometime, I am trying to fish all of the good MS lakes in the next couple years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've never had much luck with the citronella candles/torches unless I'm inches away. This year we use a couple of inexpensive box fans that we picked up from Wally World. It doesn't take much of a breeze to keep them at bay and it doesn't hurt to have a bit of air movement when you're sitting outside.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like Mt Ida's idea! Matter of fact, I have been to Mt. Ida before and remember the skeeters being pretty bad there....I have camped on the Ouachita up there, but I can't remember the campground now. Oh yeah, i remember it was Twin Creeks I believe.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm going to give this a try:

http://www.life123.com/home-garden/landscaping/grubs/build-a-homemade-mosquito-trap.shtml

Build a Homemade Mosquito Trap
By: Gene Rodriguez, III
Mosquitoes are more than just annoying pests in your yard or garden. Mosquitoes carry many diseases including West Nile, encephalitis and malaria.

There are many commercial products to rid your landscape of these dangerous insects. Most of these products are quite expensive, however. A homemade mosquito trap is a simple, cost effective way to protect your yard and family from unsafe mosquitoes.

How it Works
Mosquitoes are attracted to the carbon dioxide (CO2) that we exhale. Commercial mosquito traps work by generating CO2 and broadcasting it into the air. Mosquitoes are attracted by the gas, fly to the trap and are sucked into a net bag where they die of dehydration.

Your homemade mosquito trap will use yeast to create CO2. Yeast is an organism that eats sugar and exhales CO2. (We use this feature of yeast all the time when we bake bread.)

Materials
To build your homemade mosquito trap, you'll need:

1 plastic two-liter drink bottle, emptied and cleaned. Discard the cap.
A utility knife or other sharp knife
A roll of tape
Black construction paper or other heavy black paper
1 packet of dry yeast
¼ cup of brown sugar or molasses
1-1/2 cups of warm water

Putting it Together

Cut the top off the two-liter bottle just below the point where the top merges into the cylinder. If you've done this correctly, you'll end up with one funnel-shaped piece and the rest of the bottle.
In a small pot, warm the water to a simmer.
Add the sugar or molasses and continue to heat and stir to water until the sugar or molasses has dissolved.
Remove the water from the stove. As it cools, monitor the temperature with a thermometer.
When the temperature of the water reaches 120 to 130 degrees, pour the water into the bottom section of the bottle.
Add the packet of yeast to the water and stir until the yeast is dissolved.
Invert the top section of the bottle and place it inside the bottom section. The funnel shape should be pointing down and the cut edges of the two bottle sections should line up.
With tape, seal the join where the two sections of bottle meet.
Cover the outside of the bottom section with black construction paper.

Using The Trap
Your homemade mosquito trap will work indoors or out. If you're placing it indoors, put it in spot where it will not be disturbed. If you put your mosquito trap outdoors, avoid placing it in direct sunlight. Too much heat will kill the yeast.

You'll need to replace the yeast mixture about every two weeks.

The trap can be made more effective by taping an Octenol or Lurex mosquito lure to the inside of the bottom section of the bottle before sealing. Mosquito lures area available in larger hardware stores.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oscillating Fan. We often have 2 oscillating fans running on our deck while sitting outside in the evening. About the only thing we have found that actually works.

·
Packer Backer
1,021 Posts
If we want to sit out on the deck, first thing I do is fire up the fogger and make three or four passes by the surrounding shrubs, that usually flushes them out, then I set out a couple fans like Bugle said. Works pretty good. I hate spraying myself up with greasy bug spray. But the BEST thing would be a nice killer frost! LOL

·
Registered
921 Posts
They are expensive but they are worth every cent, Mosquito Magnet. When we first built our house the black flies and Mosquitos were horrible. I bought a mosquito magnet for $350 and every morning when I checked the net it was full of mosquitos, hundreds of them. After running it for a few weeks 24/7 the mosquitos, back flies and even horse flies were pretty much gone. You can buy them at Home Depot and Lowes now.

The other thing I've done that worked was having our property sprayed for ticks. This spring we started finding ticks on the kids after they were playing in the yard so I had a company come out and spray the whole place for ticks. Not only have we not seen a tick since, I didn't even put out the mosquito magnet because I haven't seen any of them either. I hate having stuff like that sprayed around the house but Lyme disease is a very real threat around here and I've got two little kids.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts