My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I try a 5/8 inch drive belt. Drive belt used is 140294 which is 82" long and 1/2" wide. Why would this keep breaking I am newbie but am also old man

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I once tried a murray deck that used 5/8 belt on an mtd that used 1/2. I used a 5/8 belt and I broke the drive pulley

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,043 Posts
Need to double check belt route. Very easy to get the belt on the wrong side of a belt keeper. When I install a new one on mine, when I am finished I walk away. Come back after a few minutes and recheck the route. Need to feel by hand along the belt route. Not just eyeball it.

There might be a drawing of the belt route under the right foot pad.

Drawing is for your machine.

My transaxle is the same as far as the input pulley being on the side of the transaxle.

Is the belt coming off that transaxle pulley and wedging between the pulley and the transaxle?
May have to add a belt keeper above the rear pulley. I had to do that on my GT.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Should I try a 5/8 inch drive belt. Drive belt used is 140294 which is 82" long and 1/2" wide. Why would this keep breaking I am newbie but am also old man
JUST CHECKING...WHEN YOU INSTALLED THE NEW BELT DID YOU DO SO BY DROPPING THE ELECTRIC CLUTCH DOWN TO put the new belt on? When you reinstalled the clutch housing you have to make sure that the belt stayed inside the keeper groove.....laying on your back with no space to see what your doing , is really tough . BUT , ask me how I know, if you loose your grip on the housing and it drops a little , the belt will jump out from to inside of the guide and if you didn't notice it , it'll eat itself in about 4 minutes at full throttle. just enough distance to be out on the hillside sloping away from the garage !!! LOL

·
Registered
125 Posts
As was already suggested, you should try a Kevlar belt.Those are recommended usually for blade belts where a tensioner bends the belt backwards, which is more common with blade belts, bur some drive belts also qualify.However, if the manufacturer OEM belt keeps breaking too frequently. you may have an alignment or routing problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did you check all the idler pulleys for bad bearings? I got a good deal on a simplicity once that the guy said it was slow and kept breaking belts. New belt and new idler pulleys worked great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts