My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the best way to keep birds from building a nest under shed overhang? This was an overhang I added last year on both sides of a barn where I store mowers, etc. The main area I put aluminum which stopped it, but they continue nests where I just put shiny duct tape. Birds made a mess and there are trees everywhere around.
Ideas, thanks.
20210501_124934.jpg
20210501_124918.jpg

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Fake owls and bright flashy pinwheels and tapes sometimes works. However, if you are also feeding the birds, all bets are off.

·
Registered
769 Posts
At my place, I had to put blocking or screens on every little nook and cranny to keep the birds out. That included the chimney

good luck.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,577 Posts
Get a couple of small wind chimes and hang them under there. That works for woodpeckers and may also work for other birds.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,449 Posts
Best thing is get nest down before they lay eggs. You have to be vigilant but they will find other spots eventually.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My new place, the FO put up these aluminum wire spikes atop the deck support beam. Looking along their length, they are V shaped, they look like a brush with two rows of 6" aluminum bristles. The base of the V is nailed to the top of the support beam. No bird can land there.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My new place, the FO put up these aluminum wire spikes atop the deck support beam. Looking along their length, they are V shaped, they look like a brush with two rows of 6" aluminum bristles. The base of the V is nailed to the top of the support beam. No bird can land there.
I'd like a picture of that if not much trouble, sounds interesting. Thanks. I'll try other suggestions too.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,905 Posts
Chicken wire?

I had the same problem last year up under our deck. Moth balls blew away. Continually trashing the nest didn’t work either. I ended up covering the area with wood after the baby birds got pushed out of the nest.
I’m convinced it’s the same bird that returned a couple weeks ago. Keeps peck peck pecking on the basement windows under the deck every morning. I think she’s mad at me.

·
Super Moderator
6,040 Posts
I'd like a picture of that if not much trouble, sounds interesting. Thanks. I'll try other suggestions too.
This stuff... quite popular here, and there's a slightly different version for wires.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
I deliberately build platforms for the birds to build their nests on. Birds are a benefit with all the bugs they catch. A little poop is a small price to pay for all the benefits. Mind you, the wife gets upset when the Flycatchers perch on the clothesline and poop on her laundry.

·
Administrator
21,528 Posts
Go to a dollar store/toy store and buy a bag of small plastic snakes/frogs/lizards, etc. and glue them where you don't want the birds. We had a problem with swallows building nests on our window frames. The small plastic snakes/lizards fixed that.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts

I'll be back out at the "ranch" this evening. If enough light I'll snap a couple pics and post but won't be till later.

Reactions: Sevenhills1952

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Sevenhills,
I found them on line. Here is an Amazon ad for the ones at my new place. You get 28 of these, each 13" long that fit in a typical 15" on center bay. I found it when I searched for "Bird repellent spikes"... Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Bird-X is the one that came out with those spikes many years ago, looks like their patent expired. They have many other products on their website to get ideas:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Earlier I mentioned I was going to my new place and would return this evening. Yep, those spikes work all along the 60 feet of 2nd story deck I have EXCEPT the one that fell down. Guess what, there is a GD bird's nest in that one empty spot.!! o_O 😬

I'll wait til fall to remove the nest and reinstall the spikes....:)

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I ran a zig zag of thin fishing line under my gazebo roof in the center where some of the rafter supports all converge... it was a perfect nesting site.... I stapled the fishing line in place, and ran it back and forth close nouhg so the birds can't find a way in without having their wings hit the string and they don't like it.... gaps between the lines are 2-3" max.
It was a small area and high enough (9-10ft above the floor) that I can't see the line unless I specifically look for it.
Birds try to fly in - their wings hit the lines and mess them up and they learn to stay away....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Paint underside of eaves sky blue like Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island has been doing for many years to keep birds from nesting under the eaves. Birds think they are under sky and exposed to birds that pose a threat so they nest elsewhere.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sevenhills,
I found them on line. Here is an Amazon ad for the ones at my new place. You get 28 of these, each 13" long that fit in a typical 15" on center bay. I found it when I searched for "Bird repellent spikes"... Hope this helps.
These are pretty expensive. What I do instead is get some thin wire from an auto store and make spirals out of it, stapling them on every 6 inches or so to the ledge (the spirals tend to get kind of tangled nut that's OK). It doesn't prevent the birds from landing as such but they feel very uncomfortable around the wire, and don't stay there.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far so good! I love the dollar stores.
For $6 I got a bunch of stuff...four packs of wind spinners, pinwheels, even colored shiny beads. They haven't been back & no worries banging my head.
I'll get more for our horse stable.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Another form of those bird spikes. I've seen installations of those spikes in NYC. Pigeons just roost between the spikes, its funny how ineffective they can be. Believe me, if someone installed them on a big building in New York, the material cost was insignificant compared to the labor charge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts