My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Deere Gt245 with a Kawasaki FH601v engine. I have Fram PH3614, purolator 10241, and FL400 Motorcraft filters that I use on Briggs and Kohler engines. I have read threads where people said the used the PH3614 and Pur 10241 but I thought Kawa filters were different some way. OE is am107423, I used a few cross reference tools but I usually use the larger filters. I've never been willing to pay 3x as much for a OE filter but I guess if I need to I can. Advise.
Cannon

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
AM107423 is $6.39 at Bombergers. $7.10 at the local dealer [ assuming their website isn't misleading me ].

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Your Kawasaki filter crosses to a Wix #51394. Available from any Oreilly's or other Auto parts store, usually around 8 bucks.

The Purolator equivalent is L14476, which incidentally is the same filter I use in my Camry. Available from Walmart for 3 bucks, made in the USA and good quality.

Wix or Purolator will be as good or better than OEM. You couldn't pay me to use a Fram, overpriced garbage.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I got the Purolator L14476 at the mart yesterday for less than $4.
Cannon

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
yup.. the common cross reference is Fram PH-4967 and most Toyota cars before they went to the cartridge filters used it. anybody can cross that number, as a Fram number is usually 1st on the list..

with that said, dont use Fram, use Purolator classic at the cheapest..

And also FWIW, Yanmar Diesels use PH-6607. a PH-7317 ( extended length ) could also be used

·
Registered
761 Posts
Read any of the threads on car forums about filters and they will universally tell you (with evidence) why Fram (aka Allied Signal) and Champion (Lee, STP, NAPA Silver, et al) are inferior designs.

NAPA Gold is indeed a Wix filter and pretty good. But not as good as the OE Kawasaki. The OE filter uses a silicon gasket and a synthetic media. This is equivalent to the NAPA Platinum line of filters which doesn't seem to have a cross reference to the 1394. When you get into this class of automotive filter you are looking at more like $15 a pop so $8-10 for the OE is pretty reasonable. The use of high temperature silicon is more important for these air cooled engines than in automotive use where the engine temperature is relatively constant.

Consider that sometimes filters have a manufacturing defect and just fail. If this results in engine damage what brand do you think you're more likely to get warranty service with; OE or brand X?

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Fwiw, Honeywell Fram aquired Champion.. I used to get carquest filters as they were wix premium with a cheaper price than Napa gold. Last one I got came with packaging that said allied signal and not affinia

·
Registered
761 Posts
Fwiw, Honeywell Fram aquired Champion.. I used to get carquest filters as they were wix premium with a cheaper price than Napa gold. Last one I got came with packaging that said allied signal and not affinia
Ugh, be afraid... be very afraid. Thing is, Champion Labs makes a lot of the filters for private aircraft. So they know what they are doing. The Mobil1 filters they make aren't "so bad". I guess you gets what you pay for.

FWIW, seems Champion Labs has dumped the Lee brand. After buying a solid manufacturer and extracting everything they could I guess they closed the till.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts