My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I own a John Deere JX75 walk behind mower for the last six years and am doing a bit of contract work with it. For the most part I have just replaced cables, blades, blade brake clutch and a broken back axle. A problem occured with the engine for the first time a few weeks back when it was staling under load. Brought it to a dealer and he cleaned the carburetor and adjusted the governer for me. When she is cutting now it still is strugling under load and when cutter is disengaged the engine surges.
I'm thinking its the governor needs readjusting I have the tech manual and would like to try tackle this problem myself.
Any advice would be grateful dealer reckons the engine is coming near the end of its life span but I disagree. I have the machine from new and have reguarly serviced her myself. Plus I dont have the money to buy a new one.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Governor systems do not need random adjustments. Surging means dirty/clogged passage in the carb. Low power means dirty/clogged passage in the carb.

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
IF u decide to adjust the gov, make sure the linkage moves freely after you are done adjusting it otherwise you will start the engine and it will rev WIDE open. It will scare the H#LL out of you! We have all been there once!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the help guys learning as I go. I'm going to take off the carburetor tomorrow and clean it myself and hopefully it will solve the problem. Will let ye know how I get on

1 - 4 of 4 Posts