My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the 2nd FJ180V that I've gotten in that's begun eating the boss that the crankshaft rests on in the bottom of the engine case. Of course there's no way of telling if this is a design flaw, or if the landscape company's that flog these Toro 22177's around and never service them, might be the issue.:hide:

My solution: Pop them apart, purchase a 2nd crankshaft thrust washer, like they use on top of the crank (part #920226-7020) and then have it milled to whatever spec I need. The local machine shop has a magnetic holder for small stuff like this, and can surface it to spec.

So if you get one that has the fan screen scraping on the fan housing, it's fairly easy to repair if you're willing.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Ive only seen this a few times, and it was always on a unit with a blade brake clutch, never seen it on a non=BBC model.

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, that's what these have both been.

The one that showed up today had a seized rod, and no oil showing on the dipstick......but hey, it was running fine until it quit!

I ordered parts from MTF supporter, www.midwestmowerpros.com

·
10K and Climbin!
12,353 Posts
Yep, that's what these have both been.

The one that showed up today had a seized rod, and no oil showing on the dipstick......but hey, it was running fine until it quit!
:Stop: :sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

:lalala: :lalala: :lalala: :lalala:

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All better.

Parts arrived today from www.midwestmowerpro.com (thanks!) Had my local machine shop shave the new .137" thick crank thrust washer down to .084 and put 'er back together with a new rod, polished crank journal, and rings.

She lives to mow another day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts