My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't had the JD 170 out and about for a few weeks and the battery was dead. I put it on the charger but it wouldn't hold a charge, so I got a new battery this morn. I put it in and the engine fired right up....but is "surging". The governor seems to be overcompensating back and forth to keep the engine running. It has not done this before sitting for a couple of weeks, the gas is reasonably fresh, month or so, and I need some advice. The engine is a Kawasaki 14hp single, 1990 vintage in a 5sp JD 170. Oil changed few weeks ago, new plug maybe 6 months ago, new battery today. Starts easily, surges from idle through WOT running.

Thanks,

Greg.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Sounds like a fuel/carbureator problem Greg. Maybe the float sticking or maybe you have some moisture in the gas. Also make sure your gas cap is venting ok.

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
:ditto: Something in the carb may need cleaning.

·
Once again a Super Member
13,711 Posts
Sound like a vacuum leak! This would cause surging I don't know this engine but check to see if the carb has come loose from the intake manifold or if it has a vacuum line check to see if it has came off or rotted.

A EZ test is to use starter fluid and spray it between the intake manifold and the carb while it is running and if the rpms climb it a vacuum leak.

Good Luck

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot, guys!

I loosened the gas cap just a bit, sprayed carb cleaner in the throat, found rotted hoses.... And It runs better now. Not perfect, but the "searching" is a lot less because of the carb cleaner and cap, I think. I am going to replace the fuel hoses as they are in kinda bad shape. Not leaking, that I can see, but will be if I don't replace. Will also check the carb to intake to block bolts.

The fuel lines from the tank to the filter, filter to the pump are regular "ruberized" hose. The line from the pump to the carb is cloth covered. I assume it's because fo the pump pressure?? Do I have to replace with the cloth type or is the ruberized fuel hose they sell now days good for the whole run?

Again, thanks

Greg

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Check and replace the gasket between tank and carb as it hardens and will leak air when not kept wet!

wingnut nailed it!

·
Super Moderator
32,057 Posts
Greg said:
Thanks a lot, guys!

The fuel lines from the tank to the filter, filter to the pump are regular "ruberized" hose. The line from the pump to the carb is cloth covered. I assume it's because fo the pump pressure?? Do I have to replace with the cloth type or is the ruberized fuel hose they sell now days good for the whole run?

Again, thanks

Greg
Just rubber would be fine. Not a lot of PSI in there at all. Just make sure it does not rub on anything though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well my opion is that the carb has a plugged transition port. It is common on these type of engines if they sit for awhile without running. The reason is the fuel these days doesn't stay fresh very long. even though you put fresh fuel in it the possiablity of having stale fuel left in it is high. This will cause some of the tiny jets to plug up that are needed for it to run correctly.

My suggestion is to pull the carb and clean it very well and make sure all the holes are open and nothing is plugged.

The surging comes from the carb looking for fuel that it can't find and that why the governor over compansates.

Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Greg,

Are you using Stabil in your gas? I strongly suggest using year round. I also dump about half a can of Berryman's B12 carb cleaner in my F525 at the beginning and end of each season. A trick I use to clear a dirty carb that sometimes helps is to run at a slow rpm until it has warmed up and then put the engine under load with the mower and run up to full throttle and snap the choke open. This will flood the engine out and cause it to stall so don't let the rpms drop so low that the engine cannot recover rpm when you remove the choke. I do this several cycles as it creates a huge suction on the carb fuel passages and draws the max. amount of fuel possible through them. Sometimes in the off chance that the carb fuel passages are gummed up and the gum has not hardened; this can help to open things up. Doesn't always work but is worth a try.

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chief,

I normally use Stabil all year, but the gas I used was "virgin" and the couple weeks sitting..... I've been dutifully reminded!!! ROF

All my gas is treated now.. and will be. Thanks.

Greg

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have the same problem periodically with a onan engine. Taking the top of the carb off and blowing it out usually fixes it. Sea Foam also works well sometimes and doesn't require any tools.

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:ditto: :Welcome: back.... Glad ya found us and look forward to seeing more post.

Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts