My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my old 160 with a Kaw FB 460V. Engine won't start. There is a small Engine Control Unit called an Ignitor. My OHM meter says it fails using the test out of the engine manual. I've replaced it before - probably 10 years back. Before I plunk down the $50, does anyone know a bypass method or can this unit be baked in the oven for a short term recovery?

·
close enuff works for me
3,123 Posts
My JD170 wouldn't start no spark, it had to be the coil or the igniter. want to the JD dealer. The parts man looked up the parts for the kawasaki engine, and found out he had never sold an igniter, but had sold several coils for this engine, based on his suggestion I bought the coil and it fixed the problem. Glad my local dealer has a good parts manager.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never heard of a way to bring on back to life. Usually it's the deal of eliminating everything else and then springing for one.
Thanks. I think I was reading either a Lawn-Boy or Wheel Horse thread a few years back about heating a high-dollar electrical component in a oven to revive it. Just wondering if this was a universal trick of the trade. I'm working my way around the troubleshooting with things I know are bad before I open the manual to far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 160 would up and quit after about ten minutes of running, wouldn't start for about an hour or so, replaced the igniter, problem solved. Wish I had some troubleshooting steps for ya but I don't. I checked everything else at the time and the igniter was all that was left so I replaced it. Hope this helps.:fing32:

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 160 would up and quit after about ten minutes of running, wouldn't start for about an hour or so, replaced the igniter, problem solved. Wish I had some troubleshooting steps for ya but I don't. I checked everything else at the time and the igniter was all that was left so I replaced it. Hope this helps.:fing32:

I did find the test steps for the ignitor listed in the downloadable manual.

I had purchased the GT262 in a non-running condition so I was grasping at straws. Turned out being a sheared flywheel key. Simple $1.50 fix !

Thanks for the reply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts