My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just bought a 2002 concours and really enjoy the bike. My girlfriend however is not quite sure she likes it all that much. I just traded my 2005 yamaha royal star tour deluxe for the concours and i guess she was used to riding on a lazy boy chair. I have made a few modifications to the bike so she will be more confortable on it but the one remaining issue is turbulence. I have to be honnest and say that i can see her head swinging left and right quite a bit. I have the stock wind sheild and was wondering if an aftermarket wind sheild would solve the problem. If any of you have info that would help i would be really grateful. It's basicly the same effect as when you're following a 18 wheeler but just for the passenger. Thank you.:thanku: :OHCAN

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes, it's the stock windshield.

A Rifle or Cee Baily will likely cure the problem.

Check out www.concours.org

Great bunch of folks. Keep your eyes peels on the For Sale section in which one of the aforementioned shields frequently become available at a nice savings.

I have the Rifle system, and like it a lot. One of it's nice features is that you can easily make custom-height shields for it using Lexan from the hardware store.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Since it's an expensive guess i really wanted to hear from concours owners. Is'nt M.T.F just the best! :bannana:

·
Registered
751 Posts
It's definitely the windshield. However, I don't know if changing it out to a bigger one will help HER or not. I've got a buddy with a goldwing, and that has a HUGE windshield on it. He doesn't feel the wind at all, but his wife still does. The air goes over him and then comes down directly onto her.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi all. I just bought a 2002 concours and really enjoy the bike. My girlfriend however is not quite sure she likes it all that much. I just traded my 2005 yamaha royal star tour deluxe for the concours and i guess she was used to riding on a lazy boy chair. I have made a few modifications to the bike so she will be more confortable on it but the one remaining issue is turbulence. I have to be honnest and say that i can see her head swinging left and right quite a bit. I have the stock wind sheild and was wondering if an aftermarket wind sheild would solve the problem. If any of you have info that would help i would be really grateful. It's basicly the same effect as when you're following a 18 wheeler but just for the passenger. Thank you.:thanku: :OHCAN
Francois,

Did you ever get this straightened out?

Some more info for you: it's the flip at the end of the shield that makes the turbulence. It's creating "dirty" air -- similar to what you experience behind a tractor trailer. You can cruise down the highway at 80 mph with no vehicles in front of you. But when you get behind a tractor trailer, the dirty air in his wake makes your bike unstable. That's what the windshield is doing to your passenger's head.

Getting a winshield without a "flip" at the end of it will help a lot. And although it seems counter-intuitive, a *shorter* shield may be the best solution.

Good luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I put over 200,000 miles on 3 Concours....In the early days (1988-1989), I tried several windshields and only the Rifle was quiet at that time.....Worked so well, I just moved it from one bike to the next as I racked up the miles.....G'luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 87 Connie, & it had a shortend Rifle on it, when I got it. I went & bought the one that was 2" taller than stock (about 4" more than what the first one was). It stopped the buffeting & killed the noise of the wind whistling past my helmet.
Don

also, check out www.cog-online.org

1 - 8 of 8 Posts